Freezing Cakes

Decorating By lisa8882 Updated 15 Jun 2009 , 10:18pm by Tee-Y

lisa8882 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisa8882 Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 1:04am
post #1 of 7

does anyone know how to freeze unfrosted and frosted cakes for later use. I want to make my wedding cake this week but my wedding isnt until june 27 in salem oregon and thats a 8 hour drive away. I cant find instructions anywhere on how to do this. I will frost the cake the day before the wedding but it cant be in the cooler so it will have to stay in a box until the next day. Any idea's on how to do this?

6 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 2:26am
post #2 of 7

I wish I know how to find and link all the posts there are on doing this but since I can't here's the short version.
Bake cake; cool just until warm; wrap in plastic wrap - 2 or 3 layers of it OR one then place in plastic bag to freeze.
If you'd rather, bake, cool completely, fill (if filling is freezable - no fresh fruit) and ice them but don't wrap them......instead place in freezer for several hours (until hard), then wrap as above.
For UNiced cakes, when ready to work on them allow to thaw at room temp - best overnight or from early a.m. to afternoon. Exactly how long it takes depends on the size of the cake.
If you have filled & iced the tier, UNwrap and thaw at room temp - again, time depends on size.
To transport place in cake box (or similar) and place that in plastic bag. Keep as cool as possible.......keep Air Conditioning on in car etc.
Hope that is understandable and what you wanted to know icon_smile.gif

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 9:28am
post #3 of 7

For freezing unfrosted cakes, here is my method.

Bake, cool completely, level, wrap in layers of plastic wrap (making sure it is sealed completely), put in a freeze/ziploc bag or wrap in foil and pop in the freezer.

Good luck.

candoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candoo Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 9:32am
post #4 of 7

How long can u freeze the uniced layers and them stiil taste fresh when thawed and iced??

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 5:38pm
post #5 of 7

I've had mines for about 5 days and it still tasted so fresh.

I'm sure some people have theirs longer.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 10:02pm
post #6 of 7

When a UNiced cake is wrapped well in plastic it will keep 30 days w/o any loss of moisture or taste.

Tee-Y Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tee-Y Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 10:18pm
post #7 of 7

Well wrapped and frozen the cakes taste even better when thawed, I'm a firm believer in freezing cakes before decorating but I don't let the cakes cool totally. I learnt this on cake central thumbs_up.gif ,tried it out and ever since that's what I do.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%