Question About The 'wilton Beautiful Gum Paste Flowers' Kit.

Decorating By CanadianCakin Updated 18 Jun 2009 , 10:29pm by divaessence

CanadianCakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CanadianCakin Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 10:53pm
post #1 of 12

Do you know the one I'm talking about? The book that comes with it looks very retro!
Well Ijust got the kit today and have a question. I was very surprised to find that all the flowers they do in the book are on stems and in sprays, I was not expecting this do I use the same techniques in the book just to place them on cakes....I wasn't really looking to do everything with stems.
TIA!!
Ashley

11 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 12:35am
post #2 of 12

well the book is very retro. You can make most of the flowers with or with out the wires.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 2:23am
post #3 of 12

The book is very retro icon_biggrin.gif I use the cutters all the time but I don't usually follow the book instructions.

Roses need a wire or a toothpick to really work well (I prefer wire so it can hang upside down to dry)

I like to make the flowers out of fondant and then dry them on different things...mini muffin tin, egg holder, etc...without stems.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 2:35am
post #4 of 12

.....Roses need a wire or a toothpick to really work well (I prefer wire so it can hang upside down to dry) ....
Not necessarilyicon_smile.gif Here's a cake I made - some 3 dz roses and not a wire or toothpick on any of them.
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=28124

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 2:38am
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

The book is very retro icon_biggrin.gif I use the cutters all the time but I don't usually follow the book instructions.

Roses need a wire or a toothpick to really work well (I prefer wire so it can hang upside down to dry)

I like to make the flowers out of fondant and then dry them on different things...mini muffin tin, egg holder, etc...without stems.

Ditto thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif I do not follow the book instructions, I just use the cutters thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

sleeper713 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sleeper713 Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 2:48am
post #6 of 12

I was surprised too when I got the kit and it said to use wire. So if you don't use wire, then in what ways do you alter the instructions to make it work? What do you do differently? Thanks in advance!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 4:10am
post #7 of 12

[quote="kakeladi] Not necessarilyicon_smile.gif Here's a cake I made - some 3 dz roses and not a wire or toothpick on any of them.
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=28124[/quote]

I'll have to try it sometime without wire. Do you still let the centers dry first or can you do them right away? Are you using a 5 petal cutter or putting the petals on one at a time? (In case it matters for some of the petals drying to hold up the others) I've done them before with fondant and no wire but not very big ones. Today I was trying to show my grandma how to make one with a 5 petal cutter and no wire and it wasn't working well at all.

While we're on the subject of roses, this is a very good tutorial on making big ones with a 5 petal cutter: http://cakesbyfrancesca.com.au/videos/rosetutorial.wmv

CanadianCakin Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 6:45pm
post #8 of 12

Thanks everyone!

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 1:19am
post #9 of 12

I bought the kit too, but have not really used it yet.

SGordon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SGordon Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 1:26am
post #10 of 12

I bought that kit too and was surprised by how many wires they used. I was worried about putting all of those wires in or on my cake. Instead, I made the flowers on pieces of spaghetti so I would get the same effect without the wires.

CanadianCakin Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 2:32am
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGordon

I bought that kit too and was surprised by how many wires they used. I was worried about putting all of those wires in or on my cake. Instead, I made the flowers on pieces of spaghetti so I would get the same effect without the wires.

Very interesting idea!

divaessence Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divaessence Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 10:29pm
post #12 of 12

I bought the kit for a special wired flowers course I'm taking right now. We use the cutters but utilized more contemporary techniques to actually make the flowers. My instructor mentioned that Wilton may be in the process of producing a new version of the book.
The cutters, however, are a great deal ...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%