Cake's Best Friend

Decorating By sunlover00 Updated 22 Aug 2005 , 11:37pm by AnaMaria11

sunlover00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunlover00 Posted 21 Aug 2005 , 4:48am
post #1 of 7

While this isn't a true cake question, I wondered if anyone had tried this trick with cake's best friend.....ICE CREAM. icon_razz.gif

I want to make homemade ice cream ahead of time. If any of you have ever tried to freeze homemade ice cream, you probably know that it turns as hard a ice overnight. Then the next day you want to serve it and you have to chisel it out or let it melt around the edges and its still hard in the middle.

I once heard that if you mix in a tub of cool whip before you store it, it will stay creamy. Has anyone tried that??

6 replies
edencakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
edencakes Posted 21 Aug 2005 , 5:00am
post #2 of 7

I haven't tried the cool whip trick, but I do know that the more fat you use, the softer it will stay. If you use mostly milk (maybe a mixture of 2% and ½&½) then it will freeze rock hard, like you said! When I've used heavy cream and ½&½, it's much easier to scoop the next day.

I'd love to know if the cool whip works, though!

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 21 Aug 2005 , 5:24am
post #3 of 7

I love homemade icecream! Even when it freezes too hard over night. I pour some sweet condensed milk over it & it is fine. I love sweet milk! I could eat it out of the can. YUMMY! Have ya'll ever tried homemade banana pudding icecream? My Mom used to make it all the time. It is soooo good!!

ashianadotkom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashianadotkom Posted 21 Aug 2005 , 2:41pm
post #4 of 7

I had this happen to me several times
Haven't figured out what to do except make it in small batches and eat it right away.
I alsouse whole milk and cream in my recipes and it still hardens
It is still good though , my husband has put it in themicrowave to soften it

AShiana

Niki027 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niki027 Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 1:22pm
post #5 of 7

There is something you add to it so that it doesn't freeze so rock hard. I think it's gylcerin.

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 2:24pm
post #6 of 7

I love icecream cakes! I picked up a quick tip from another site. You can use ice cream sandwiches as a "filling." Just lay them in between the layers. They come in a lot of differect flavors now too.

AnaMaria11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnaMaria11 Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 11:37pm
post #7 of 7

The recipe we usually make is half-and-half, cream, sugar and vanilla and stays pretty nice. It's snow white, and very similar to commercial soft serve.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%