Buttercream Cracking,,someone Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Decorating By Buttercream_warrior Updated 13 Jun 2009 , 12:33am by gerripje

Buttercream_warrior Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Buttercream_warrior Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 8:43pm
post #1 of 5

IM DOING A WEDDING CAKE THATS GOING TO BE OUTSIDE ON A BOAT..IM DOING IT FOR A FRIEND WHO HAS A TIGHT BUDGET,SHE HATES FONDANT SO IM DOING BUTTERCREAM.MY PROBLEM IS MY BUTTERCREAM IS CRACKING AND NOT ONLY AM I GOING TO WORRY ABOUT IT SITTING OUTSIDE MELTING OR WHAT NOT IM GOING TO WORRY ABOUT ITS APPERANCE WITH CRACKING...PLEASE GOOD BAKERS OUT THERE HELP ME..IM STILL A NEWBIE AT THIS..ARRRGHHH..IM SORRY .JUST FRUSTRATED

4 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 8:47pm
post #2 of 5

What recipe are you using and does it only crack when you move the cake? Please turn off the caps as it's hard to read and it is considered screaming.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 8:47pm
post #3 of 5

If the icing is cracking when you move the cake, it is most likely lack of support. Make sure you have a heavy enough cake board to support the weight of the cake.

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 10:18pm
post #4 of 5

I agree with the above - what sort of board do you have it on? If there is not enough suppoirt, it will crack icon_sad.gif

gerripje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 12:33am
post #5 of 5

Depending on what is causing the cracking, I've read somewhere on here that adding just a drop or two of vinegar while mixing the buttercream helps prevent cracking?? I'm not 100% sure on this, so I will see if I can find what I was reading.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%