Americolor Vs. Ck Colors Vs. Wilton Which Do You Like Best??

Decorating By gina0475 Updated 14 Dec 2012 , 3:52am by Pearl645

gina0475 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gina0475 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 6:09pm
post #1 of 52

I am so done with wilton, and I am looking to throw out all I have and switch. My area is big on wilton and ck colors, but I will have to travel for or order Americolor. Is it worth the trip???

51 replies
azeboi2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azeboi2005 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 6:13pm
post #2 of 52

i prefer americolor and chefmaster. i've never tried ck colors, mostly i use chefmaster cause that's what's available w/o shipping. i'm donzo with wilton colors!

chris

Minstrelmiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minstrelmiss Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 6:15pm
post #3 of 52

Spectrum is widely available in my area. Anyone had any luck with it?

kayla1505 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayla1505 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 6:21pm
post #4 of 52

I'be used all 3 kinds and americolor is my favorite

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 6:36pm
post #5 of 52

Of those three, Americolor. I despise Wilton's colors, and I've never used CK. Chefmaster is also a good choice, but I use Americolor almost exclusively.

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 6:44pm
post #6 of 52

I normally use AmeriColor, but I do have some CK colors in my shopping basket. I'll let you know if I am happy with them.

luv2c_cultures Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2c_cultures Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 6:50pm
post #7 of 52

I'm curious, what is it that you don't like about Wilton? It's the only thing I have used due to availability and not knowing any better (I'm just a newbie). icon_smile.gif

And what is it that you like about Americolor? Perhaps I will start switching too! LOL!

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 6:50pm
post #8 of 52

I've used all of the above. I love Americolor when I need a true color. Crystal Colors powdered is great as well. CK is fine. Chefmaster is fine. I really have no issues with Wilton when I'm mixing colors, and a few of them I love such as Wilton "Delphinium."

Munchkinette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Munchkinette Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 7:08pm
post #9 of 52

I'm a newbie to caking. So I've only used Wilton and just recently used Americolor for the first time. Hands down I like the Americolor better. One because the colors do seem to be more true colors. And second I like the fact they come in little squeeze bottles which makes for no mess when getting the color out. I hate having to dig out the Wilton colors with toothpicks! I always end up make a mess with the Wilton ones.

sara91 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sara91 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 7:19pm
post #10 of 52

Wilton is Kosher and Halal certified. I am not sure about the others.

Also in numerous countries Wilton use 'approved' ingredients whereas many of the ingredients in Americolor are not permitted for sale in these countries.

Some smaller shops may import them and sell them but they are not to be sold as a food product.

Personally I like chefmaster (we cannot get all the colours imported and sugarflair (UK)

I see chefmaster has brought out a range of natural colors. I would like to try them.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 7:20pm
post #11 of 52

Americolor is the way to go. Although I haven't used the Chefmaster one. In fact, I've never even heard of it before!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 9:01pm
post #12 of 52

Chefmaster is my favorite.. You use very little and never have to wait for the color to intensify. It's the only color I've used that you can get red or black instantly and and no bitter or bad taste.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 11:57pm
post #13 of 52

I use both Wilton and Americolor. I honestly like both. They have different colors and I like variety.

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 1:46am
post #14 of 52

Is it just me, or does anyone else have a problem getting a true, rich, dark purple with Americolor? I love this product and this is the only color I seem not to be able to produce.

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 1:57am
post #15 of 52

This is a very interesting thread, I was always curious about this, Thanks guys by the way I use wilton colors

CookieD-oh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieD-oh Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 2:04am
post #16 of 52

I can get Americolor, Wilton and Cake Craft locally. I prefer the Americolor over all of them, but Cake Craft has some really cool colors, and I prefer it over Wilton.

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 3:07am
post #17 of 52

Interesting in seeing the difference in all. I only have Wilton available, but travel for other brands. I have used Cake Craft and very little Americolor. Not sure yet which I prefer. I do know I don't like the mess of dipping the toothpicks either. Plus I don't like that you tint and then it darkens after it sits. So if one would get me the exact color I want without changing with time I would like to try that.

gina0475 Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 12:10pm
post #18 of 52

Wow, thanks for replying everyone!
Someone asked about Wilton and I wanted to put out there why I no longer want to use it, and I have the perfect example.
First, I am well aware of how wilton does not mix up well; so I purposefully took extra time to mix a small amount of butter cream with the color to be sure every bit is mixed through and then I mixed the entire batch.
I iced my cake, the color was even. I added my shell edging (here I should have known) and I had clogs in the tip but could not figure out what (nothing more frustrating).
I finish the cake put it in the fridge for the next day. I pull it out the following morning and this cake that was evenly colored had specks of concentrated color, ahhhhhrrrgg I was really po'ed.
Now this was with royal blue, and I know that wilton has issues with some of the darker colors but come on. None the less I am getting rid of most of my wilton colors and starting over and since it will be a heafty cost, I thought it would be smart to get some opinions first.
so once again thanks so much for all the responses and I think I can go with my first instinct of americolors although the poster saying it may not be approved in other countries is concerning, but then again can't see how wilton is since it contains typical red dye #40 yellow #5, I thought all of those were banned in other countries in general. Believe me just because its approved does not mean its any safer. LOL

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 12:26pm
post #19 of 52

I use Americolor for icing, and ChefMaster to colours candy/chocolate (the specific candy oil-based colourings). To the PP, Spectrum, I believe, is the same as Americolor. If you look at the colour range & names, they are identical to Americolor! The only difference is that I think Spectrum is usually destined for the international market & available only in the little bottles - but don't quote me on that!.

k-loveevents Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
k-loveevents Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 12:27pm
post #20 of 52

I used to sware by Wilton.... becuase their colors seemed to be perfect shades yea though it seemed to take forever to mix... That was until I used Americolor... the colors take less gel to make the same impact and the color doesn't get all spotty after it sets... I like to mix it in with my melted marshmellows when making mmf before I add the powdered sugar and even after all the sugar gets mixed in my black is still black and my red is still red. Americolor makes me very happy icon_smile.gif

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 7:04pm
post #21 of 52

Sounds like Americolor is the coloring of choice by most.

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 7:08pm
post #22 of 52

I LOVE Americolor!! My favorites! Since I found them I wont go back to Wilton! I still have some wilton I havent opened that I need to get rid of!

gina0475 Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 8:05pm
post #23 of 52

great thanks so much
so here is what I was going to start with
tell me if I must have something else on hand or tell me what you use the most

or should I just do the student kit #1

101  Super Black Soft Gel Paste  
102  Royal Blue Soft Gel Paste  
109  Forest Green Soft Gel Paste  
105  Copper Soft Gel Paste  
107  Lemon Yellow Soft Gel Paste  
111  Leaf Green Soft Gel Paste  
113  Orange Soft Gel Paste  
120  Super Red Soft Gel Paste  
114  Deep Pink Soft Gel Paste  
160  Electric Blue Soft Gel Paste

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 12:36am
post #24 of 52

How about dark brown for shades from tan to chocolate.

sabrosita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sabrosita Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 10:33pm
post #25 of 52

As much as I like using Americolor because it's less messy and doesn't require a bunch of toothpicks, I have found it very hard to get true colors as shown on the bottle label. I tried "electric blue" and it turned into more of a turquoise/tiffany's blue color. Today I tried "regal purple" for the first time and as much as I kept adding the color did not stray at all from blue. Am I doing something wrong???

adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 10:46pm
post #26 of 52

i just got some americolor and though i have yet to try it, their customer service is great. i ordered online and it got here within a few days. the only problem was one of the bottles had leaked (not a ton of color was lost, but it was messy looking). i emailed them about it, not wanting any money back or anything, but just to let them know. and they sent me a $5 credit (i know it isn't much but still!). it was really nice of them especially since i didn't even ask for anything.

didavista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
didavista Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 11:05pm
post #27 of 52

my vote is definitely for americolor thumbs_up.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 11:06pm
post #28 of 52

Americolor!

luv2cook721 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2cook721 Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 11:09pm
post #29 of 52

I just recently started using Americolor and I love it. I still have my wilton's and use them on occasion, but Americolor has so many advantages...Squeeze bottle produces less mess and no toothpicks, the colors don't dry out on me the way wiltons do, less gel to get the color you want. I tend to use wiltons when I want a lighter color or to color a small amount of icing to avoid getting a color deeper than I want since you do have less control of the amount you pull out when it is being done in a drop. I suppose you could still use the toothpick method though.

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 11:13pm
post #30 of 52

I tried Americolor, And Liked it I will not trow out my Wilton though I have too many, It is a waste of money to throw it out, maybe you can use it on cakes for your family and friends birthday I started with the student kit first (Americolor)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%