Patchwor Cutters ???

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 14 Jun 2009 , 10:02am by judcreations

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 4:33pm
post #1 of 7

Hi All!

I am thinking about purchasing some Patchwork Cutters. I would like to know how they are used. Do you just press them into your fondant/gumpaste like a cookie cutter?? Any help is appreciated. I tried doing a google search on this, but all that comes up is just the cutters to purchase. I would like to know how they are used before I purchase them.

Thank you,

=)

6 replies
sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 4:44pm
post #2 of 7

I just used those cutters on my hat box cake. you have to roll your fondant thin like 1/8 thin and be able to handle it at that thin. I have a stocking sock with cornstarch in it I pass over when rolling to keep things from sticking and I patted it on the cutters before cutting. I found that sometimes it would still stick and was chalenging to get out-until I used a fondant tool to poke gently through one of the holes in the cutter to aid releasing the cut out. I used my mini spatula alot to lift up and move peices. I layed them on wax paper to dry because when I have used parchment it has bubbled up from the moisture it absorbed and that affects the shape of the cut out. They are great! I love them! You just need to give yourself time(a couple hours) to play and find how to get into the cutter groove. The tiny ones are near immpossible and look carefully as some of the tiny ones design is based on leaving an immpression on something rather then being a cut out. Like the lady bugs legs and antenna are just for an impression and not for a cut out-all you will get is the body if making a cut out.

keystone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keystone Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 4:51pm
post #3 of 7

At first I had trouble using them. Then I had a class with Nicholas Lodge and really got the hang of them. You don't have to roll super thin- you can do a bit thicker for things that will be standing on the cake. I found the most success with gumpaste rolled (either thru the pasta machine or with a rolling pin) then lift it up, rub some shortening down on the surface your are cutting out on, place gumpaste on it, rub a little shortening on the cutter (not too much) and press- firmly where you want it to cut and not as firmly where you just want the impressions. Lift the cutter (best case it won't stick to the gumpaste) pull away the excess. Practice is what has helped me!

MissBaritone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBaritone Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 6:35pm
post #4 of 7

www.patchworkcutters.co.uk

I use them all the time. You can emboss and either pait or brush embroider. You can build up decoupage stile flowers or just do thin cut outs. The trick is to use gumpaste or mexican paste

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 9:29pm
post #5 of 7

The way keystone said is what is recomended but of coarse I could not do it that way being the odd ball that I am so I did the dry method and let the fondant lay and slightly firm up and dusted the cutters. I just had to use a brush to get off the extra cornstarch after the cut outs set up. Just gotta do what ever way works for you. these cutters are awesome though i know you'll love them.

judcreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
judcreations Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 9:23am
post #6 of 7

I have posted a Video instruction on how to use the patchwork cutters in the HOW DO I SECTION on June 13.
You can also find the video uploaded in You-tube, if u type in patchwork cutters

judcreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
judcreations Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 10:02am
post #7 of 7

Attached Link for patchwork cutters

Part 1 :

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%