Ok Pro's How Do You Do It?

Decorating By Shirlcantuck Updated 13 Jun 2009 , 5:40am by __Jamie__

Shirlcantuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shirlcantuck Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 4:28pm
post #1 of 16

How in the world do you keep the buttercreme from cracking? I use indydebi's receipt, which I love, but when I transport a cake inevitably by the time i get to my location there are several cracks in the icing.

HELP!

and thank you!

15 replies
Minstrelmiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minstrelmiss Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 4:36pm
post #2 of 16

Me too! I also use Indy's recipe and ALWAYS get at least one big ugly crak when I transport! Who hold the answer??!!

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 4:36pm
post #3 of 16

This might be because your base is not rigid enough and when you pick up the cake the base bends and that bends the cake surface. I've had fondant crack, but not buttercream, so I'm not sure what you're experiencing. Do you have any pictures so we can see what's happening?

krazyb5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krazyb5 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 4:36pm
post #4 of 16

Most buttercreams crack a bit after been out for a while, you have to make sure you use a base that is strong and it wont bend, like that when you pick it up the cardboard base will be strong enough to hold the weight and it wont crack. Good luck

Shirlcantuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shirlcantuck Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 4:55pm
post #5 of 16

Thanks for responding guys. Maybe that is my problem. I usually just use a cardboard base covered with foil. I want to start ordering the more sturdy bases, but cant justify the cost yet. My DH will kill me if I spend anymore money on this cake hobby. Speaking of spending money... Have any of you ever priced an edible image printer?

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 6:00pm
post #6 of 16

Rather than spend a lot on the really nice boards, I either use two of the cardboard bases taped together and covered with Wilton foil, or I use two pieces of foam core from the craft store covered with the foil. You can get a big piece of foam core at the Dollar Store and cut it with a knife to whatever size you need. Don't put the cake directly on it without covering it with something that's food safe, though. That stuff isn't actually manufactured to be used with food.

I've started doing a lot of foam core covered with a piece of pretty craft paper that matches the theme, covered with clear contact paper. Then I use a cardboard round under the cake because the contact paper (plastic) isn't actually food safe, either. It's a very cheap way to snazz up the overall presentation.

renee2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
renee2007 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 6:09pm
post #7 of 16

shirlcantuck, I bought my edible image printer on amazon for around 60.00 with free shipping. hth

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 6:13pm
post #8 of 16

OK everyone I think I have the answer for all of you!!!! Add 1 to 2 tablespoons of white vinegar to your buttercream when mixing. It will not add any flavor but it does prevent the buttercream from cracking. HTH

Erika2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erika2000 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 6:20pm
post #9 of 16

Another option is to go to the local home improvement store and have them cut a masonite sheet into various size squares for you. Then you can cover these with the cake foil. I have even put "feet" on a couple of boards by attaching 1" x 2" 's to the bottom so that I have a lip to pick up the board - very helpful for large cakes.

rocketmom1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rocketmom1985 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 6:49pm
post #10 of 16

I did something similar to Erika2000 but I bought a tile for 99 cents at the homestore. I added four knobby things from the craft store to make feet...It is 12 X 12 so it is big enough for alot of my stuff...I am just a home baker, don't sell anything. For a sheet cake I have foam core taped together (like four pieces...ok, I am chickenlittle thinking it will drop all over the place icon_redface.gif ) When transporting anything I have a wooden board something like 2 X 4 that dh and I put the cake on and walk it to the car. Most of my cakes are for the mh park we live in and we use the golf cart and it works ok...

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 6:56pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirlcantuck

Thanks for responding guys. Maybe that is my problem. I usually just use a cardboard base covered with foil. I want to start ordering the more sturdy bases, but cant justify the cost yet. My DH will kill me if I spend anymore money on this cake hobby. Speaking of spending money... Have any of you ever priced an edible image printer?

Thick foam core cut to your specifications (a DIY project) is an incredibly easy way to get around the "expensive" boards. Also, I never fail to ue my Michael's coupon on their (Wilton's) decorative cake boards. They are thick and already foil covered. I love, love, love them, but they only come in rounds.

I hate to think of what I've spent on my "hobby" and feel your pain!

tigersluv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigersluv Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 6:57pm
post #12 of 16

I use a masonite sheet under my cakes but I never leave the masonite with the cake, I drop off the cake and take my board home with me.

I found it is cheaper to buy the printer and then buy the supplies seperate. That is my next purchase since I got my huge KA Wednesday!!

Has anyone used tastyfotoart for their sheets and ink? Just reading I think they might have the best ink, not dull.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 7:29pm
post #13 of 16

I tried the vinegar trick to no avail icon_cry.gif

I have started using Sugarshacks recipe and I LOVE LOVE LOVE It - it crusts enough to smooth, but has never cracked - it stays soft and gives enough that it doesn't crack.

I also use the 1/2" foam core board - it is perfect, you can cut it to whatever size you want - and is readily available! I cover it with food safe products and use it with every cake.

ccwkg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccwkg Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 7:42pm
post #14 of 16

If you keep an eye on it you can buy the foam core board on sale at michaels, ac moore, or hobby lobby for $1.00 each. It is much cheaper than buying Wilton boards. If I do a wedding cake I double or triple up just for my own piece of mind.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 5:26am
post #15 of 16

If you add vinegar, does it still crust?

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 5:40am
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth0209

I've started doing a lot of foam core covered with a piece of pretty craft paper that matches the theme, covered with clear contact paper. Then I use a cardboard round under the cake because the contact paper (plastic) isn't actually food safe, either. It's a very cheap way to snazz up the overall presentation.

icon_smile.gif Yay! Welcome to the scrapbook paper cake drum decorating club! Those papers are a dream! And yep, 1/2 foam core does the job every time I am out of English style drums! I actually prefer the foam more and more lately, I may not ever order another drum! Well, for big cakes, yes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%