Which Is The Best Fondant To Use?

Decorating By coconooch Updated 14 Jun 2009 , 5:02am by diane706

coconooch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coconooch Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 3:08pm
post #1 of 17

Do you buy fondant, or make it? If you buy it, which one is the best to work with / tastes the best? icon_biggrin.gif

16 replies
mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 3:24pm
post #2 of 17

michele foster's (MFF) is the only one i've tried, and love.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 3:31pm
post #3 of 17

I use Michele Foster's, too. It has a good flavor. I found that when I was kneading it after it rested overnight, that I had to keep buttering it with crisco to make it workable. Adding extra glycerin as recommended did not help.

littlejewel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlejewel Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 3:47pm
post #4 of 17

have any of you tried white chocolate fondant? I'm not sure it exist, but if does where did you find the recipe?

hollyh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyh Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 3:51pm
post #5 of 17

I use satin ice and love it! I also get compliments on the taste all the time!

missyd4e Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyd4e Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 4:00pm
post #6 of 17

Satin Ice is the BOMB! It is worth buying, it is smooth as a satin ribbon and is so much easier to mold to the bottom of cake.

littlejewel Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 4:30pm
post #7 of 17

Does Satin Ice make white chocolate fondant?

hollyh Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 4:51pm
post #8 of 17

They make a vanilla fondant! It is really good!

kokopuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kokopuff Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 5:00pm
post #9 of 17

how large of a cake would the 2 pound satin ice cover,anyone know

jolie1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jolie1977 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 5:03pm
post #10 of 17

I just made Michele Foster's Fondant (with the 6oz of white chocolate and French Vanilla coffee creamer) for the first time and the taste is UNBELIEVABLE! Love it! I'm letting it rest for the afternoon and will be laying it on my cakes tonight, so how well that all goes is yet to be determined, but I'll let you know! I used to use Wilton and loved the consistency of it, but the taste was not so great... pretty tasteless. I tried Marshmallow Fondant and that was pretty good, but had a hard time with the consistency with certain batches... I guess that's what happens when you make your own...

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 5:22pm
post #11 of 17

Jennifer Dontz's semi homemade fondant. Check out her dvd for the recipe.

andiesweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andiesweet Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 5:31pm
post #12 of 17

I make my fondant using the recipe from the wilton yearbook. I also work for a high end bakery in Ft Lauderdale, she also uses the same recipe. IT TASTES NOTHING LIKE THE PREMADE WILTON FONDANT. It's good and easy to work with.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 5:38pm
post #13 of 17

Another fan of SatinIce here Easy, tastes great. Comes pre-colored too!

littlejewel Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 9:34pm
post #14 of 17

Which yearbook is the wilton fondant recipe in (which year). I'm sure that satin ice is great but I'm newbie, I'm not willing to pay for fondant to practice with. When I start getting customers I will try satin Ice

online_annie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
online_annie Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 9:44pm
post #15 of 17

I'm a dedicated Satin Ice User! I know exactly what I'm getting everytime I purchase it. No surprises. No disappointments...ever. Their range of colors are fantastic. In my opinion, it is worth every penny.

hollyh Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 9:58pm
post #16 of 17

Yes! If you factor in the time it takes to shop for and make home made fondant, I think Satin Ice is well worth the money!

diane706 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane706 Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 5:02am
post #17 of 17

I just tried Fondarific for the first time this weekend on several cakes and LOVED it!!! I can't say enough great things about it... no cracking, smooth as silk and needs NO powdered sugar or Crisco to roll out and it can be rolled out nice and thin and it tastes great. (the fruit flavors are really fun). PLUS, the ladies out there at Fondarific are a complete joy to work with! Satin Ice always cracks on the edges for me and I got so fed up and tried this fondant. I will never use anything else. But there are LOTS of people that swear by SI so.... Maybe my issues with SI are because of the climate here in CO... who knows.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%