Cute Star Or Shaped Things That Look Like Fireworks On Cake

Decorating By sister340 Updated 11 Jun 2009 , 10:56pm by Texas_Rose

sister340 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sister340 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 10:48pm
post #1 of 2

So many cake I see lately have those darling things sticking out all over. Like stars looking like they're are on wires, celebration looking. Especially on topsy turvy models. Can anyone tell me where to get these or how to make them?

1 reply
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 10:56pm
post #2 of 2

You can make them yourself. Cut out the shape that you want from fondant or gumpaste, making sure you've left it thick enough to insert a wire. Then either dip the wire in gum glue, or hold the tip of it in a flame for a few seconds, and then insert it into the shape. Let it dry before you stand it up.

Wire comes in different thicknesses called gauges. The ones that you'll see most often (you can get them in the floral section at Michaels, Hobby Lobby or Walmart) are 18, 22 and 26 gauge. The lower the gauge the thicker the wire. You should get a pair of wirecutters too because cutting wire with kitchen shears will ruin the kitchen shears.

Last of all, it's not food-safe to stick the wire directly into the cake. Insert the wire into a drinking straw or coffee stir stick trimmed to the height of your tier, then push the straw or stir stick into your cake. If the wire's going to flop around, you can pipe a little royal icing into the straw.

Quote by @%username% on %date%