Tiered Cake In Cake Box

Decorating By IloveYorkies85 Updated 12 Jun 2009 , 6:51pm by SugarBakers05

IloveYorkies85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IloveYorkies85 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 9:40pm
post #1 of 16

Ok so I did a pretty big bday cake, 3 tiers, and of course my local store doesn't sell boxes tall enough to close for my cake. I have to deliver tonight... what do you guys normally do? I just kinda saran wrapped it, but I dont know how professional that looks....

15 replies
sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 9:48pm
post #2 of 16

Get a big box from a packing store and secure the bottom of it really well. Take it back home with you to re-use.

cakeymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeymom Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 9:50pm
post #3 of 16

I've been thinking about this same issue potentially with my cookie cakes that I am doing now. The best I could come up with is a packing box like UPS uses. They can be purchased from WalMart. Or perhaps the storage boxes that places like Office Depot carries. Once the cake is delivered you could keep the box???

cakeymom

shell62995 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shell62995 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 9:52pm
post #4 of 16

I just deliver w/out a box. If they chose to pick up is when I look for boxes..............

IloveYorkies85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IloveYorkies85 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 9:54pm
post #5 of 16

well she is traveling three hours away with it..... maybe I should go get a packing box!

sadsmile Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 9:58pm
post #6 of 16

Three hours- you better pre warn her that the surface that box sits on has to be perfectly- exactly- PERFECTLY level! Or that cake will slide and shift till falls.

shell62995 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 9:59pm
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveYorkies85

well she is traveling three hours away with it..... maybe I should go get a packing box!

lol! yea thumbs_up.gif

shell62995 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 10:02pm
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsmile

Get a big box from a packing store and secure the bottom of it really well. Take it back home with you to re-use.

I hate to sound stupid but could you show me a pic of the kind of box your talking about? Oh, and just a side note- Thanks for always being so helpful. You always try to answer my questions!
~Michele

sadsmile Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 10:08pm
post #9 of 16

Really? You need a pic of a brown cardboard box? They usually have samples of their boxes you can look at in the packing stores. Any Mailbox, UPS or USPS . Just measure how bit you need it to be. How big in diameter is your cake board base and how tall plus a couple inches does it need to be. Some stores carry boxes for glassware and are double coorugated in strength. Those are more money but good sturdy.

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 10:18pm
post #10 of 16

On Cake Boss this week, they used taped-together boxes for a tiered cake. It looked like clear packing tape attaching at the sides, all around where the 2 boxes meet. The top box is upside down on the bottom box, so when the cake is in and it's taped up, the cake is totally hidden. They made a wrong cake delivery because they couldn't see the cake to compare it to the order slip!

shell62995 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 10:24pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsmile

Really? You need a pic of a brown cardboard box? They usually have samples of their boxes you can look at in the packing stores. Any Mailbox, UPS or USPS . Just measure how bit you need it to be. How big in diameter is your cake board base and how tall plus a couple inches does it need to be. Some stores carry boxes for glassware and are double coorugated in strength. Those are more money but good sturdy.

No nevermind. I quess I just trying to figure out how u put a cake in a packing box. Nevermind

sadsmile Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 12:47pm
post #12 of 16

Same way you would put anything else, but with cake you don't want it to be able to slide around at all. So make sure the box is near the size of the the cake board, tape up that bottom as if your life depended on it and put the cake in carefully. You could use no slip stuff under it or tape anything you can easily remove that will add more stability. Don't mind my snarkyness from earlier and I appologize as the 'funny' is hard to read in print. I was giggling and hoping you would be too. LOL were you rolling your eyes when you typed never mind.. hehe See that is my sense of humour with friends... Just joshin around.

CookieMeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 1:31pm
post #13 of 16

I guess I'm still confused about the packing box. How do you lower it down into the box and pull it back up without damaging the frosting/fondant? Especially if it is about the same size as the cakeboard - seems that would be really difficult to do.

jillangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillangel Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 2:35pm
post #14 of 16

Cut down the seam of one of the sides of the box and slide the cake in and shut and tape the side back together when it is in.

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 3:30pm
post #15 of 16

When I put a round board into a square box, I just hold the board on each side and lower it into the box so my hands go down into the corners -plenty of room. If it's more than 2 tiers, I would do as everyone above suggests, and cut one side of the box, leaving the bottom attached and folded down, put the cake in from the side, then tape the box shut on both of the cut sides.

Here's a great picture, and the wedding cake boxes are for sale:

http://www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/wedding/large_image.jpg

SugarBakers05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakers05 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 6:51pm
post #16 of 16

I've seen it where instead of putting the box on its bottom like normal, people put it upwards. you would need a box with a lid for this idea.The side of the box will be the new bottom, so now you slide the cake that way, and fit the other part together and tape it real good. the theory sounds good, but i guess doing it might be a different story. maybe you can practice it with a dummy cake to get an idea. hope that helps

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%