Candyclay Figures

Decorating By mindy1204 Updated 13 Jun 2009 , 1:21am by samiam22

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 8:03pm
post #1 of 18

I was thinking of making this and trying my hand at some figures. They would not be standing probably sitting down. Will this work. I can use fondant or gumpaste but I know based on the ingrediants this would taste good. Can I color it with Wilton colors?

TIA

17 replies
bananabread Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bananabread Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 10:40pm
post #2 of 18

That clay is excellent to work with. here is the site you can find some information on how to make it
http://www.helium.com/items/1369917-how-to-make-your-own-chocolate-clay
you can check also at the wilton site

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 12:19am
post #3 of 18

no, you cannot use the basic wilton colors for candy clay.
for any chocolate or candy clay, you need to use the oil-based candy colors. wilton does sell some of these colors in craft stores or you can find larger and more intense colors on line (i also love using these for buttercream as their colors are so vivid).

the other thing you can do is just buy colored candy discs.

i follow toba garrett's advice and age the clay overnight before breaking a piece off and kneading. do not overknead of the heat of your hands may make it grainy and unworkable. just knead until you see a shine.

diane

mindy1204 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 12:32am
post #4 of 18

Thanks for the advice about the color... I was just going to use the color from the cakes. So that won't work? Man now I will have to find a different kind. Can you mix two colors of candy melts. If i want a body color, could I mix the tans ones with a little white etc?

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 12:41am
post #5 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindy1204

Thanks for the advice about the color... I was just going to use the color from the cakes. So that won't work? Man now I will have to find a different kind. Can you mix two colors of candy melts. If i want a body color, could I mix the tans ones with a little white etc?

Absolutely you can. Just stirr well when you're melting them.

cchunn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cchunn Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 12:47am
post #6 of 18

I tried the clay recipe for the first time last weekend using semi-sweet chocolate chips so I haven't tried it with the colored discs yet - but it does seem that you could mix two colors of chips together. And the above advice about not kneading too much is great. I found that when I let the clay sit overnight and worked with it the next morning I had the best results. For some reason later on the day my hands seemed to be more warm and the clay got soft more quickly. Have fun - I think I'm addicted to the stuff now!

mindy1204 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 12:48am
post #7 of 18

Can you add the colors after mixing and it has set... like the next day knead it into the clay?

varika Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 1:34am
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindy1204

Can you add the colors after mixing and it has set... like the next day knead it into the clay?

You really should add them when you're melting the chocolate. I don't think it would work very well afterwards--the stuff isn't like fondant. But you could paint the figurines when you were done with luster dusts.

newnancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newnancy Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 3:42am
post #9 of 18

I don't want to hijack this thread but I do have a question? Can candy clay be rolled out and cover a cake like fondant or is it something else people use like this?

Thanks

varika Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 4:00am
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by newnancy

I don't want to hijack this thread but I do have a question? Can candy clay be rolled out and cover a cake like fondant or is it something else people use like this?

Thanks

Yes, it can. I've seen it a couple of times on Ace of Cakes and Food Network Challenge.

newnancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newnancy Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 4:05am
post #11 of 18

Thanks varika,

I'm dying to try this. I bet it would taste great.

mindy1204 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 1:52pm
post #12 of 18

I made this last night... It was so easy. I havent played with it yet cause it has to sit overnight, but it was very easy to make.

As for the color, I am going to try to knead it in. On the Wilton website it says you can, if it doesnt work oh well but I am going to try.

drakegore Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 4:14pm
post #13 of 18

the candy clay has more oil in it the semi-sweet. if you find oil on the wrap or clay when you take it out to work with it, i just blot it off.

the candy clay is also a bit softer than semi-sweet, but this is usually not a problem unless you are rolling quite thin. it may need a little more support right after modeling to hold its shape.

one last thing, lol. if you find you have to overknead your clay (which i suspect you will) to work in your color, just set it aside in the fridge for a couple hours and then come back to work it and you should be fine.

let us know how it turns out for you!

diane

mindy1204 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 5:32pm
post #14 of 18

Thanks for the advice. I am hoping to make an angel with butterfly wings so we will see.

I will let you all know how it goes

Thanks

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 5:48pm
post #15 of 18

Does it work well for ribbon roses? I've successfully made figures, but not roses. I'm wondering if it will crack when rolled.

drakegore Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 6:03pm
post #16 of 18

i have not made ribbon roses, but i make indivual petal roses with it.
i do not think you will have any trouble with it cracking as long as you have kneaded it and it is not cold. it is very pliable stuff and not "dry" like fondant or gumpaste. you may get some some lightening of the chocolate if the fold is stressed, but i think if your clay is warm enough you will be fine. i have some chocolate clay downstairs, i will bring a chunk to room temp, knead, and try it! i will let you know!

drakegore Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 1:04am
post #17 of 18

i used the semi-sweet modeling chocolate for ribbon roses and it worked beautifully, without issues.

here is a website you might enjoy - they do all (or most) of their decorations in chocolate clay instead of fondant or gumpaste.
http://dessertworks.net/weddinghome2.html

samiam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
samiam22 Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 1:21am
post #18 of 18

Newbie here,sorry I don't even really know if this means I am hijacking a thread as this relates to the topic. Actually I don't know what constitutes hijacking a thread??? I am just wondering if you can paint candy clay with edible gold paint? I have made a batch and am trying to make an Oscar statuette for a graduation/Oscar themed party.
TIA.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%