How To Go About Asking A Coffee Shop To Sell My Sweets?

Business By sambugjoebear Updated 13 Jun 2009 , 11:41am by mellee

sambugjoebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sambugjoebear Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 7:01pm
post #1 of 10

There is a local coffee shop that I would like to get in business with and sell some sweets from their shop (helping me and them). How would I approach them about this? I've never done this before and am still trying to get my home business off of the ground. I've dropped off samples to a few places but so far I haven't gotten many orders ( I think 4-5 in the last 4 months). I know my products are good, it's just getting my name out there that is the problem. icon_sad.gif Should I make up some more samples to pass around?

I know I want to make samples for the coffee shop when I approach them, should I make them a variety of things that I would be interested in selling them? cookies, brownies, cupcakes?

Thanks for any/all input!

9 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 7:07pm
post #2 of 10

Samples are definitely the way to go.

First be sure that you are allowed to sell "wholesale" out of your home kitchen. Where I am, I'm not allowed to sell to anyone who will resell even though I'm licensed and legal.

Check out your area laws before you approach them.

Good luck,
Deb

sambugjoebear Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 7:29pm
post #3 of 10

I love Ohio... icon_smile.gif I'm under the cottage food laws and we are allowed to sell thru groceries, restaurants, farmer markets, and out of our homes (obviously). Everything just has to be labeled a certain way (which it would anyway selling to a customer straight from my home).

However, since the coffee shop would be my customer, would I label the box that I give them their cookies/brownies in or label each indiviually wrapped product with my info on it? Probably the latter, eh?

sambugjoebear Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 12:14pm
post #4 of 10

Other than handing out samples, does anyone have any advice on how to approach them? Any and all suggestions welcome icon_smile.gif

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 12:58pm
post #5 of 10

Hi sambugjoebear - keeping in mind i am in a different country - but this is how i did what you are wishing to do.

I made a dozen cupcakes - (2 different recipes/flavours) and packed them up in my cupcake courier (looked professional icon_wink.gif ) and went on down to a local cake/coffee shop.

Walked in and introduced myself - handed my card and as i spoke removed the top from the cupcake courier - Handed the lady a copy of the two recipes - and proceeded to ask if she would be interested in selling some of my cakes through her shop.
She was impressed and so we spoke costs and pricing.

I left all 12 little cuppies there and asked that she try one of each and perhaps ask her regulars to try them.

She phoned me two days later telling me that they were all gone - and then she placed an order.
She places special events orders through me also -
ie: Valetines Day - Mothers Day - etc and i left her some of my cards and should she direct an order my way - i give her a *spoters fee*

It was a tad daunting - but hey - instead of a knock back over the phone i thought i would just *do it* and go in cold.... as i thought she cannot see me over the phone or my cakes.

Perhaps you could do as i did - you'll never know if you don't give it a go.

I wish you every success. icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif
Bluehue.

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 1:04pm
post #6 of 10

Bluehue-great advise. You make it sound so easy. Maybe when I get to this point I'll send you a message--or you can just go with me to the store! icon_biggrin.gif

sambugjoebear Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 2:24pm
post #7 of 10

Thank you bluehue! I'm glad it worked out well for you icon_smile.gif Hopefully some of your luck will rub off on me icon_wink.gif lol

Now, to get my samples (and courage) together and actually do this thing! I don't think I want to hand over my recipes, but I think I will provide an ingredients list. That's a good idea icon_smile.gif Bluehue, how do you figure out the spotter's fee? Do you give her a percentage of the sale? or just a flat fee per order sent your way?

Thanks again for the input. Any other suggestions? icon_smile.gif

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 2:48pm
post #8 of 10

alvarezmom - LOL - now theres an idea - as i have never been to Austin - thumbs_up.gif
As i said - it was a tad daunting - but i think my straight back and shoulders and smile made me look more confident than what i was for the first 5 minutes - icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
And i kept saying to myself .......
you have nothing to loose except orders
you have nothing to loose except orders
you have nothing to loose except orders...as i drove there icon_redface.gif

sambugjoebear - The two recipes i took weren't anything flash - so that didn't worry me -anyone can make sponge cuppies and chocolate cuppies - the lady brings all her cakes and biscuits in - she doesn't cook - plus i thought - if she is busy busy busy then she won't have time to decorate like i do - icon_lol.gif
Will pm you re pricing and spotters fee

Happy to help
Bluehue. icon_smile.gif

cupcakelady64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakelady64 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 2:58pm
post #9 of 10

Bluehue's idea is a good one. Also, word of mouth is great business. But they won't talk if there's nothing to eat! SO, i made several trays of all sorts, cookies, cupcakes, candies, and just gave them out to businesses and people that i thought could help me. Now, it's three years later, and i stay very busy with orders. I even kept a book of people and how they heard about me, and when one of my original people get several marks by their name, i bring them a little something special. They LOVE that! THEN, about 6 months ago, when i went to pick up my hubby's uniforms from the local "laundry basket", we were talking about business, and it came up that i would love to have my own place for a bakery. Well, she asked me to put some things out on her counter, and voila, more business! She says people even ask about them if i skip a week!! Self Confidence!! Makes all the difference in the world!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

mellee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellee Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 11:41am
post #10 of 10

This is a great thread with even greater advice. It all comes down to confidence and courage, doesn't it? I mean, we know we have good recipes. We know we can bake well. We know people love our food. We know we would love to bake and sell. And yet there's this.......thing. The "what if" thing. I guess it's the fear of rejection or embarrassment or.... We make things worse (we in general) in our own minds, much worse than they ever really are, imagining all sorts of negative responses or worse--no response at all. It can paralyze you.

Then when you just get the guts, the plain old guts to just do it no matter what and self-image be damned, so often you're pleasantly surprised and rewarded. As Bluehue said, you'll never know if you don't give it a go. Does anyone remember the New York state (used to live there) Lottery motto? YOU GOTTA BE IN IT TO WIN IT. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%