Diamonte ?

Decorating By cathie_shinnick Updated 12 Jun 2009 , 1:43pm by SecretAgentCakeBaker

cathie_shinnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathie_shinnick Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 2:55pm
post #1 of 9

I have seen many cakes with 'diamonte" designs. Are the just rinestones or are they sugar gems? Is it a name brand? Just curious.

8 replies
cathie_shinnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathie_shinnick Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 11:04pm
post #2 of 9

icon_confused.gif thanks icon_cry.gif

crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 11:11pm
post #3 of 9

sorry but i'm not sure what you mean by diamonte...do you have a pic you could post so we know what you're talking about?

also, it might be helpful to post a more complete title to your question...i know it helps me when i'm looking through the forums.

maybe someone else will have info for you

shadowgypsie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shadowgypsie Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 2:04am
post #4 of 9
Peachshortcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peachshortcake Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 6:36am
post #5 of 9

I'm pretty sure that they are rhinestones.

anabelz01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anabelz01 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 12:27pm
post #6 of 9

Hi, I've heard that the squires shop edible diamonds are good, but not great when using on cakes that will be on display for a while - like wedding cakes - as they glaze over ruining the effect. I am in the same conundrum as I have a wedding cake coming up that requires diamante's, was a bit worried about using real ones and relying on the caterers to remove them all! I found some great ones , but they were on a pin and really didn't want to be sticking pins into the cake, even though that would be ideal as then they wouldn't fall off! Nightmare... let me know if you find some good ones that look realistic! Anna

Bunsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunsen Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 12:36pm
post #7 of 9

The ones I have used (see the princess cake in my pics) are Swarovski crystals. Use the flat backed non-hot fix ones, they come in all sizes and colours. HOWEVER they are not edible and you should advise the client (if you are selling the cake) they need to be removed before serving the cake!

ApplegumKitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumKitchen Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 12:45pm
post #8 of 9

You can make edible 'sequins' by painting leaf gelatine with lustre dust/hologram dust/rose essence - letting it dry and then punching them out with a hole punch.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 1:43pm
post #9 of 9

Swarovski crystals contain approximately 32% lead. The lead could leech out into the icing/fondant. If a child eats the cake that had the crystals on it, it might be considered harmful and fall under the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act or some other such lead law. Perhaps some more research is in order before putting these on a cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%