Sticking Pokla Dots On Fondant

Decorating By sister340 Updated 11 Jun 2009 , 10:22pm by indydebi

sister340 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sister340 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 6:10am
post #1 of 13

So my next cake is fondant, square, quite simple. She wants polka dots on each layer. Very small pink on top and bottom, 1" circles on center layer. Im thinking thin fondant or gum paste circles. How would you stick them to the fondant? Also, any suggestions for the very small dots? I don't really think pearls are right, these look flat.
The colors are pink and lime green, does Wilton have a "lime" green gel color?
princess.gif

12 replies
Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 6:14am
post #2 of 13

Sometimes I stick fondant to fondant with a little water, but you can also melt a little fondant and use that as a glue. I've also used tylose powder mixed with water as a glue. You can also use RI.

For the small dots just use a decorator tip you'd use to pipe icing on in whatever size dot you want to cut them from fondant, then they're uniform size, and they're flat like what you're looking for.

I don't know if Wilton has the green, I never use Wilton anymore - I usually get Americolor - they have tons of colors.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 6:16am
post #3 of 13

I suggest you use water or tylose glue. I'm not sure if they have lime green but you can achieve the color by adding some yellow to your green -- add a bit brown to soften the brightness.

I'm not sure how small you want your circles so I can't help you on that.

Good luck.

idjitmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idjitmom Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 6:52am
post #4 of 13

I use vodka. It works great, evaporates quickly (unlike water), & leaves no taste (unlike extract).

How small? If using a tip is to small, use the small wilton circle cutter.

sister340 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 1:32pm
post #5 of 13

Is there a reason not to use royal icing as the glue? And do some of you place royal icing flowers, etc on fondant cakes?

hollyh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyh Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 1:41pm
post #6 of 13

I use water and it works great. I actually am delivering a lime green and pink cake with polka dots today. I will upload a picture later.

I made the lime green with wilton leaf green and a little yellow. It was really easy to get the lime green color. HTH!

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 1:52pm
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sister340

Is there a reason not to use royal icing as the glue? And do some of you place royal icing flowers, etc on fondant cakes?

Thinned down royal icing is just fine and, yes, royal icing flowers on fondant is fine as well.

Water, vodka, gum glue, etc. --be very careful not to put too much on the back of anything you are applying to fondant as it will have a tendency to want to slip or bleed. You can always tell when a person has used too much liquid underneath an applique. It takes very little to make the item stick. 3-D objects are different because of their weight so you need a little more "glue" in that sense.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 1:53pm
post #8 of 13

you can use royal icing (or buttercream) but water is free! so id use that for small things. edible glue for bigger things.
an you can put anything on fondant (well, thats edible, lol), royal or bc or gumpaste/ fondant flowers.
xx

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 2:02pm
post #9 of 13

My 2 cents... Use water or vodka. Vodka dries quicker. You don't want to be using the others if you are placing a small, flat thing, because the others can leave "bumps" underneath. The cakes with the small dots on mine are done with the #12 tip. It's awesome! And if your surface is powdered up enough, you can just keep punching along, and get like 10 at a time. This is also a good time to have a pasta roller!!!!

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 2:04pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sister340

So my next cake is fondant, square, quite simple. She wants polka dots on each layer. Very small pink on top and bottom, 1" circles on center layer. I'm thinking thin fondant or gum paste circles. How would you stick them to the fondant? Also, any suggestions for the very small dots? I don't really think pearls are right, these look flat.
The colors are pink and lime green, does Wilton have a "lime" green gel color?
princess.gif

Wilton does not have a lime green. Leaf green and lemon yellow (not buttercup) are what you need. Link below is a cake I made to somewhat your description:
[url]
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1199828[/url]

The pink is achieved through brand CK 'cherry pink.' Small dots can be made by using the wider circles in your frosting tips. HTH!

ladybug76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybug76 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 2:10pm
post #11 of 13

Also, when I make polka dots, I allow mine to dry on board for 2-4 minutes just so they maintain their shape. Sometimes you can pick up to adhere to cake too soon and they may lose their shape, even just a tad which when you cover a cake with polka tads, that "one odd shaped" one is going to stick out like a sore thumb!!
~ Jaime

sister340 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 10:01pm
post #12 of 13

Thank you! So many good ideas, I REALLY appreciate it!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 10:22pm
post #13 of 13

I use water or a dot of buttercream icing. (I dont' use royal icing for anything).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%