Help With These Cursed Buttercream Roses!!

Decorating By CakeMommy3 Updated 12 Jun 2009 , 3:23am by madgeowens

CakeMommy3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommy3 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 3:58am
post #1 of 6

I used to make beautiful buttercream roses...about two years ago. I now suck. I can't get the consistency right, or get the blasted petals to stop cracking and looking all raggedy.

I'm making a cake for my brother's coworker for Sunday, and out of all the other amazing stuff I can do, she just wants "simple yellow buttercream roses." They are not simple, lady!

So if anyone has some words of advice, I would appreciate it. Oh, and I'd love to make rosebuds, too. Thanks!

5 replies
tirechic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tirechic Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 4:04am
post #2 of 6

And......inhale through your nose and exhale out from your mouth. Good, now, u were good at this before, its like riding a bike, it will all come back to you. Ok BS is over, seriously, breath! Try thinning it a little, when mine start to crack I thin it a little, and it flows better, also how fast are you turning your nail.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 4:07am
post #3 of 6

add a bit of Karo/corn syrup or piping gel, a little at a time until the icing is the right consistency....try turning the nail slower as you pipe the petals (sometimes turning the nail too much as the petals are piped can cause jagged edges even when the consistency is just right. or give her simple yellow royal icing roses ...

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 4:11am
post #4 of 6

Mine come out that way all the time, and people in here told me they are always trying to get that look lol....beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess. Like to try that corn syrup idea....thanks

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 7:17am
post #5 of 6

Mine would crack too and never looked like the roses in the wilton book. But then when i really look at them they look like what I would call "cabbage roses" or a "shabby chic" rose. Take your time. People who don't do this for a living don't see the mistakes that openly shout out at us. They think it is amazing so don't fret...she will love it regardless.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 3:23am
post #6 of 6

Yes look at my roses.people say there great and I know they stink out loud

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%