Diebetic Questions

Decorating By mkolmar Updated 11 Jun 2009 , 7:40pm by Kayakado

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 3:53am
post #1 of 3

Do any of you have a recommendation for a diabetic cookbook or recipes. I started working at a nursing home facility and a few of the residence are diabetic. I don't want to ignore them and just make desserts they can't eat.
Also, is working with Splenda alright?

2 replies
G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 4:07am
post #2 of 3

I just googled diabetic recipes and it came up with a few good hits like this one:

http://www.blogcatalog.com/blogs/diabetics-cookbook-blog-recipes-for-diabetics/posts/tag/diabetic+baking+recipes/

I am sure if you searched it on the web you will find tons of stuff and cooking with splenda is great for any recipe really. they have a web site dealing with diabetic friendly recipes too.

Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 7:40pm
post #3 of 3

Most of the diabetic cookbooks are old school. They changed the guidelines two years ago to count carbs, not the old portion control baloney.

Anyway, George Stella has some wonderful desserts in his cookbooks--he has three out now. George is a chef and his wife is a pastry chef and they use common everyday ingredients

The other author is Nancy Moshier, Eat yourself thin with Fabulous desserts. The problem with Moshier is she calls for weird ingredients, like protein shake mix for cookies.

This website is good and some of the recipes are excellent, ignore the request when it asks for Cake-ability baking aid and just up the almond flour. http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/lowcarb-desserts.html

Don't even consider the comfort food cookbooks etc. - not worth the trouble.

Hint #1 Splenda and chocolate are NOT compatible, splenda makes unsweetened chocolate more bitter.

Hint #2 Almond flour has doubled in price but nut flours and meals are the best lo-carb replacement for regular flour.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%