How Do I Do A Cupcake Topper Like This Cake

Decorating By Normita Updated 11 Jun 2009 , 5:49am by dellboi2u

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 3:24am
post #1 of 8

I have been asked to replicate this cake but using "girly colors". I almost positive I can do everything but the cupcake. How do I do it?? Is it one of those jumbo cupcakes covered in fondant?? How is the lettering done...is it gumpaste laid out to dry?? Please help if you have done this type of cake. And how do I attache it to the top layer??

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3109/2639778486_0339054b5d.jpg

7 replies
xandra83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xandra83 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 3:39am
post #2 of 8

It looks like it's a jumbo cupcake with a half mini ball on top to get the perfectly round look. The lettering is probably gumpaste and I would put a dowell rod in the top tier and let it stick out a couple inches then place the cupcake down on the rod to keep it in place. Hope this helps

stellagal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stellagal Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 3:40am
post #3 of 8

i'd just be carving that cuppie out of a regular cake, but i dont see why you couldnt use a jumbo cupcake pan if you have it and either carve the perfect dome out of another one or fill in the gap with extra icing .. or use a small bowl to bake it in .. geez, i'm probably not helping much, huh.

as for the lettering, yeah, just a long string of rolled fondant laid out how you need it. if you do it on acetate or something you can lay it out and then bow it to dry to get it to follow the curve of the cake you're putting it on ..

just my humble opinion! cant guaranteee they're the 'correct' answers, but they work for me! icon_biggrin.gif

dellboi2u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dellboi2u Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 3:46am
post #4 of 8

If it were me, I would bake up a 4" round cake (or jumbo cupcake and cut the top off) and then find a small 3" Glass bowl at Wal-Mart or somewhere that would be the size that you want for the top 1/2 of the cupcake and bake it in there. I bake in small bowls like that all the time. Good Luck!

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 3:59am
post #5 of 8

These are all good ideas. But my thing is...if they ask for fondant it will look nicer. But if they want BC I'm afraid the cupcake will not look as nice. I think I am going to either head out to walmart or look in my kitchen for some small bowls to bake in. Do they just have to be metal, correct?

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 4:06am
post #6 of 8

I've never baked in metal bowls but I bake ALL the time in pyrex or heavy glass bowls. My Pfaltzgraff has seen it's share of baking time.

gerripje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 5:27am
post #7 of 8

Maybe it RKT shaped like a cupcake? I don't know, and I'm definately not full of wisedom!! I would, actually do, have a heck of a time getting smaller cakes smoothed nicely in BC to be covered in fondant. I wish I could because I think the mini cakes are so darn cute!

dellboi2u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dellboi2u Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 5:49am
post #8 of 8

I would bake in a glass bowl...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%