Blossom Branches

Decorating By stellagal Updated 11 Jun 2009 , 4:54pm by kakeladi

stellagal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stellagal Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 3:18am
post #1 of 8

Where i live, theres pretty much no classes around to help me out - the most they do is flowers. But I am dying to figure out how to make the gorgeous semi-free standing blossom branches running up cakes! Can anyone let me in on the secret?? Assume its choc, but is it only choc or is it wired? Do you do it all at the same time, or in parts? (as you can see i really have no idea. icon_redface.gif )

p.s. found one website that tauntingly MENTIONED some kind of technique to do with iced water and chocolate .. but cant imagine how on earth that works .. anyone??

7 replies
mkelso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkelso Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 4:08am
post #2 of 8

I am also very interested in an answer to this question.

cakequeen50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakequeen50 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 4:58am
post #3 of 8

you can pipe chocolate into a pan of cocoa powder at varying thicknesses and when it dries, you have a stem.

The chocolate in the ice water is an interesting concept. I can't wait to hear about that!

chedaw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chedaw Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 2:48pm
post #4 of 8

Found this about modelling chocolate in ice water:
twig:
Place melted chocolate in a parchment cone or piping bag with a 4-5mm opening. Fill
a bowl with ice water and pipe chocolate onto surface in the shape of a twig. Remove
from water when solidified and let dry on paper towels. Attach flowers with a dab of
melted chocolate.
April 09

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 2:54pm
post #5 of 8

Semi free standing is going to be difficult. You can use fondant mixed with tylose or a 50/50 mix (fondant and gumpaste) with wire or dowels in the center to support it. But if you have inner supports it won't be edible.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 3:02pm
post #6 of 8

They had an episode on Cake Boss where he did a cherry blossom cake and it showed him putting on what looked like a rope of what appeared to me a chocolate clay. It looked soft but it stayed on the cake. The only chocolate clay I've made is with a bag of candy melts and corn syrup.

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 3:07pm
post #7 of 8

i just caught a glimpse of that blossom cake on CAKE BOSS. very pretty! was he actually putting flower wires directly into cake (i didn't get a really good look thanks to 5 year old, lol)? i though this was a no-no.

i make chocolate clay branches frequently and without support, they will not be able to stand without support.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 4:54pm
post #8 of 8

........just caught a glimpse of that blossom cake on cake boss....was he actually putting flower wires directly into cake....though this was a no-no........

Yes - he actually *did* stick those flowers right into the cake icon_sad.gif They were on covered wire. Many of us don't like the idea but since the wire was covered I guess it was o.k. Just think if he had to place a plastic straw (coffee stir stick) w/one flower in it for *all* those what that cake would be like to serve icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%