Cake Muggles Re: Toppers

Decorating By auntmamie Updated 12 Jun 2009 , 3:19pm by tiawanna02

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 3:17am
post #1 of 15

Just found this on today.msnbc.msn.com - though you might all like it

BTW - take a look at the sample cake from Martha Stewart - it is pretty, but it totally reminds me of a 1980's Wilton cake.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/31067340/

14 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 3:26am
post #2 of 15

That topper, with the bells, is hideous. The bells look like the Dixie cup bells we made in school as Christmas ornaments, in kindergarten. All they need are jingle bell clappers.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Melchas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melchas Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 3:36am
post #3 of 15

all I can say is Yikes!!!!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 3:37am
post #4 of 15

I honestly don't like the topper but it looked nice with the cake.

Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 5:21pm
post #5 of 15

The cake is pretty, not into the topper.

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 5:39pm
post #6 of 15

I am all for the DIY bride and wedding but did the flower girl and ring bearer get together for arts and crafts? YECK

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 5:40pm
post #7 of 15

I wish toppers would die a quick and unnoticed death. Toppers? What are they? Don't know what those are! Never heard of them! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

luv_to_decorate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv_to_decorate Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 5:48pm
post #8 of 15

So they are telling the bride to DIY but show an example of a Martha Stewart cake. Why not show a photo of an DIY cake?????

__Jamie__ Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 5:52pm
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv_to_decorate

So they are telling the bride to DIY but show an example of a Martha Stewart cake. Why not show a photo of an DIY cake?????

No no no...that's a good thing that they are doing. When a cake muggle ends up with a wreck on their hands, there's another opportunity to dis the do it yourself mentality and go to a professional! Yay for US!

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 6:01pm
post #10 of 15

Yeah I remember there was an article online that was over 8 pages and was supposed to be a step by step on how to make your own wedding cake... many steps were left out and the time line with 15 minutes to frost it was way way off...I wonder where the horror stories are of the poor things that actually tried to follow that articles advice. Thats such a horrible to to say oh yes even the greenest baker can make their wedding cake and save hundreds of dollars. They didn't even mention support in the article and had the bride assembling it on site right before changing into her dress and advised only needing half an hour for the set up. Crazy!

__Jamie__ Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 6:15pm
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsmile

Yeah I remember there was an article online that was over 8 pages and was supposed to be a step by step on how to make your own wedding cake... many steps were left out and the time line with 15 minutes to frost it was way way off...I wonder where the horror stories are of the poor things that actually tried to follow that articles advice. Thats such a horrible to to say oh yes even the greenest baker can make their wedding cake and save hundreds of dollars. They didn't even mention support in the article and had the bride assembling it on site right before changing into her dress and advised only needing half an hour for the set up. Crazy!

Oh my gawwwd, I remember that. And I think some people in here went to that article and added their comments and supported how ridiculous that advice was. It was one of those sites where you add to the article yourself. Something like that.

funcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funcakes Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 1:15am
post #12 of 15

The funniest one I remember was Sandra Lee plopping one store bought tier on another to make a "wedding cake"

Oh, I just wish they had a pic of the straw dolls topper on a wedding cake.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 3:09pm
post #13 of 15

I kinda like the topper. It has that retro look. icon_smile.gif I wouldn't put it on my own wedding cake though.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 3:16pm
post #14 of 15

Auntmamie - your comment about Wilton cakes has me looking through my old yearbooks at wedding cakes from the 80's - What a Hoot!!!

tiawanna02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiawanna02 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 3:19pm
post #15 of 15

we may think it's ugly, but think of all the design brides want that are hideous but we make them anyway. atleast the article doesnt say make your own wedding cake or cupcakes. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%