Fondant On Rkt...

Decorating By mom2aidan Updated 11 Jun 2009 , 3:31am by jtnbatch

mom2aidan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2aidan Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 11:02pm
post #1 of 7

I've only made a couple cakes, so I'm pretty new to all this. Here's my question... When applying fondant over RKT, how do you get it to adhere? Do you apply it directly to the RKT or do you have to put a layer of buttercream like you do with cake? (I'm sure this is a ridiculous question to most of you, but I searched through the forums to avoid asking an embarrassing question, but couldn't find the answer!!) icon_redface.gif

TIA for your help!!

6 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 11:10pm
post #2 of 7

Some people use buttercream. I personally use ready made RKT and to me, it is sticky enough for the fondant to adhere.

I usually put two coats of fondant to help things smoothen out. Some people use BC under for a smoother finish.

mom2aidan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2aidan Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 1:17am
post #3 of 7

Thanks! I'll give it a try. I didn't know you could buy ready made RKT!! I'll have to go looking for that!!

BeesKnees578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeesKnees578 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 1:26am
post #4 of 7

What the heck is RKT?? I am sure it's an easy answer.

Maybe I just too tired to make the connection!

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 1:27am
post #5 of 7

rice krispies treats

tree45 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tree45 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 1:28am
post #6 of 7

rice krispes treats! You can even buy them in large cake sizes at bulk food stores!!

jtnbatch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jtnbatch Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 3:31am
post #7 of 7

I used buttercream under my fish (RKT) to get the fondant to adhere, but I was new to using fondant and wanted a smooth finish, buttercream worked great...you can check out my profile pic. Good luck, RKT is fun!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%