New Cake To Tackle!

Decorating By Treena Updated 11 Jun 2009 , 3:25am by Rylan

Treena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Treena Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 8:08pm
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone!

You all were so helpful with my last cake and I am looking for some expert advice for my next one. I will be doing a baby shower cake for my niece the end of the month. Two challenges: 1) I will be traveling 8 hours to attend. I will be arriving on Friday midday and the shower is Saturday at 2. Should I make, freeze and take the cake layers then finish after I arrive; or should I do it all there? 2) I need to add strips of brown and blue fondant onto my butter cream icing. I have never worked with fondant. Is it ok to buy the pre-made stuff and just cut and attach? Also, we plan to use alphabet blocks that spell the babies name as a topper. Anything I should consider before doing this?

Looking forward to some great ideas.

Thank you in advance!!!! icon_smile.gif

4 replies
diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 8:15pm
post #2 of 5

i would do the cakes...do the icing...color the fondant...have everything ready and assemble and decorate there. it will save you soooo much time. icon_wink.gif

Treena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Treena Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 8:35pm
post #3 of 5

That's kinda what I was leaning towards anyway. How can I keep my buttercream icing? Doesn't that need to be kept refrigerated?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 10:22pm
post #4 of 5

Buttercream can be kept at cool room temp for several days. If you have any kind of ice chest fill it and put the b'cream in plastic tubs in there to take along.

You can buy pre-colored fondant if you want. It is also rather easy to make it and color it as you want - you have time to do that icon_smile.gif

You can bake, fill and ice your layers at home. That would mean less to have to take with you and less to forget! icon_smile.gif Not much w9orse than trying to decorate and find you forgot some important tool or ingredient!
Bake, cool, fill and place in cake box, then put that into plastic bag. You can fz at this point if you want - I would.
When you arrive whenever you are ready just roll out the fondant and very lightly dampen the back & place against the b'cream.
As for using blocks for the topper, just put something (wax paper or thinly rolled fondant under them (if you use fondant, be sure no one eats it.)

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 3:25am
post #5 of 5

I guess your questions have all been answered. Good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%