How Long Should I Let Ri Dry???

Baking By cakeflake80 Updated 11 Jun 2009 , 12:19am by cakeflake80

cakeflake80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeflake80 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 6:32pm
post #1 of 4

Hello everyone! Last night was my first attempt at making Royal Icing. I used the Wilton recipe with the meringue powder. My question is, if you are making flowers ahead of time that you want to add to the cookie once it's iced, how long do you need to let the flower dry before handling? i made some last night and let them sit overnight and by morning they still didn't seem ready. They were stiff to the touch but when I tried to move them off the paper they completely smushed. Also, where do you put them to set?

3 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 8:40pm
post #2 of 4

I put my flowers on a little piece of wadded up paper towel in an egg carton (without the eggs). It probably takes 2 - 4 days for the flowers to dry, depending on the thickness of them. Hope this helps.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 10:38pm
post #3 of 4

A few possibilities...

Your flowers may be rather thick in the center. In that case, it may take 24 hours or more for them to dry completely

If it's exceptionally humid, it may take a lot longer for your RI to dry. (Keep this in mind when you decorate your cookies!)

You may not have beaten your RI long enough. If your flowers have held their shape overnight, then this problem is not likely. Underbeaten RI flowers usually droop as they sit.

Depending on the shape of the flower, I either let them dry in an egg carton, as cylstrial mentioned, or a flower former or just on a flat surface. Wax paper is under the flowers in most cases. In the case of deep flowers such as daffodils, I use Reynolds no-stick foil.

Good luck!

cakeflake80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeflake80 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 12:19am
post #4 of 4

Thank you so much! I am thinking I just didn't wait long enough....it was only about 12 hours. And it has been humid here. I just didn't realize it took that long for them to dry. This helps A LOT!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%