Mmmmm! I Made Michele's Fondant Into Key Lime White Choc!!

Decorating By chilz822 Updated 11 Jun 2009 , 3:21pm by narfletta

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 5:42am
post #1 of 32

OK, so this time I experimented again. I made Michele's fondant as always with the 6oz of white chocolate. This time I used key lime juice in place of the cream (I normally use one of the fancy coffee creamer flavors).

I was toooo yummy! This is ony the 2nd time I tried something 'out there', the first time, I used peanut butter chips to make a yummy (and already brown) fondant for my burger cake. It turned out excellent also, although it took more powdered sugar than normal due to the extra oil in the peanut butter chips.

I've also used milk chocolate paired with Belgian Choc Truffle creamer (for the wooden planks on my pirate ship) and it was delicious!

I think next time I need to make pink or red, I'm going to try some fruit punch!

thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif

31 replies
bcake1960 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcake1960 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 5:47am
post #2 of 32

Sounds Yummy!!

CakesDownTheFamilyLine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesDownTheFamilyLine Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 5:48am
post #3 of 32

Hi I am new to fondant and stuff and the store bought one tastes discusting!!!! thumbsdown.gif

Can you tell me the recipe and the brand of the key lime pie thing that you used instead of cream icon_confused.gif And if you have time can you explaina little about the replacements of the ingrediants in fondant? And peanut butter fondant sound intrasting.

Thanks

chilz822 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 6:09am
post #4 of 32

Sure Anna!
Look in the recipe section here for Michele Fosters Fondant. It's super simple to make and tastes delicious, not chemical and synthetic like the Wilton stuff.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7446-1-Michele-Fosters-Fondant.html
At the bottom of her recipe, she gives a lot of extra tips and ideas also...

Michele says you can use pretty much any liquid to substitute for the cream that her recipe calls for except alcohol (only because I don't think she's experimented with it?). I also always add 6oz of white (or milk depending on color choice) chocolate to the cooking process. It adds an extra taste and also seems to make it easier to work with.
For my lime juice, I just squeezed limes until I got 1/2 cup of juice. Now in thinking, I bet some lemonade concentrate or passionfruit (you know, those frozen cans)... or margarita, pina colada... hmmmm, I wonder how 7up would taste? Kool-aid? Kahlua? I guess the possibilities could be endless!

diamondsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsmom Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 2:12pm
post #5 of 32

Is it easier to make than the Mashmallow fondant recipe? How's the taste. does it taste better then MF?

chilz822 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 3:38pm
post #6 of 32

It's as easy to make, if not easier in my book, but it does have a few extra ingredients and steps. The taste is much better and it much friendlier to work with. Marshmallow can sometimes be hit-and-miss but Michele's has been consistent each and everytime I have used it... and even each time I've substituted flavors and such. I guess they key is probably in the gelatin and glycerine.

jolie1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jolie1977 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 3:48pm
post #7 of 32

It's good to hear your comparison with Michele's recipe and the MMF. I tried MMF for the first time this past weekend and thought it worked great with the first 2 batches I made, but then the last batch was not cooperating with me at all! I tried to lay it over a 14" round cake without any success... finally I gave up and opened up my "last resort" box of Wilton ready-made fondant because I was on a time crunch.

You've sold me on trying Michele's recipe. The only reason I didn't before is because it sounded easier to make the MMF...

Thanks again for your input and I can't wait to try that recipe and different substitutes!

chilz822 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 3:53pm
post #8 of 32

jolie1977, just know that I have only tried it WITh the chocolate, not withouot and because it worked so perfectly that way, I have never altered that part. I have read hundreds of posts from folks who have used it both ways and all have been positive.

Good luck! (you'll never look back!)

jolie1977 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 3:56pm
post #9 of 32

Thank you! I definitely won't forget the chocolate!!! It must add some good taste to it too...

pinkflower1212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkflower1212 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 4:04pm
post #10 of 32

I can't wait to try this one. My family loves my cherry limeaide cake I make, and usually use a Lime Buttercreme to frost, but I've always wanted to try Fondant. I do have the MMF recipe, but marshmellows + kids= no marshmellows, so I haven't gotten around to it. My sister is in town this week, so I think we will experiment with this and see how it goes.

Thanks for the ideas about the pina colada - sounds like it would go with my tropic breeze, ohhhh (light bulb turned on) wonder if you used the strawberry daquari mix (granted the fondant would be pink) or even the koolaid mixed in instead of the vanilla - on cupcakes for the kids.

Ok now I need to leave work and go play with fondant and cupcackes. LOL

chilz822 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 4:10pm
post #11 of 32

hey pinkflower, you know they sell cherry limeade frozen concentrate! icon_wink.gif

I keep a bottle of super-white americolor on hand to turn it a true-white when I add something that makes it more of a off-white color. I just squirt it in the KA while it's mixing and it comes out great (of course it won't turn cherry-limeade white!).
The cake I used it on was a R2D2, key lime cake, vanilla buttercream and key lime white choc fondant. It was yummy.
I highly recommend the belgian truffle creamer with milk choc also, it tasted soooo gooo and since it came out brown, it would be easier to color black if needed..
mmmm... pineapple juice sounds great too!
heh

jolie1977 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 4:12pm
post #12 of 32

Question about the recipe... I was just looking at the ingredients... does it matter whether you use salted or unsalted butter? It's really hard to find unsalted butter around here and also a lot more expensive... if you'd use unsalted butter, would you omit the "dash of salt" called for in the recipe?

chilz822 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 4:21pm
post #13 of 32

I've used both and still use the dash of salt regardless. I use popcorn salt, always have. I read somewhere that because it was so much finer than regular salt, it just worked better somehow (this was in regards to buttercream). I dunno, it's just one of those little tidbits I read in the beginning and never deviated from...

jolie1977 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 4:31pm
post #14 of 32

Great! Thanks for all the tidbits!!!

pinkflower1212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkflower1212 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 4:52pm
post #15 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilz822

hey pinkflower, you know they sell cherry limeade frozen concentrate! icon_wink.gif

mmmm... pineapple juice sounds great too!
heh

I didn't know that they make cherry limeade concentrate - I just winged it one day after having a Sonic Cherry Limeade. I'll have to look for this while at the store.

detective.gif Wonder what it would take like if you made an amoretto cake and then made the fondant as an amoretto sour using the whisky sour mix? I think the mix in the fondant alone might be ok too....

thinking about cake and fondant at work instead of working... might need to get back to work. icon_sad.gif

tiawanna02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiawanna02 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 4:52pm
post #16 of 32

jolie, since youre not using alot of butter the dash of salt will be fine.

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 4:53pm
post #17 of 32

Chilz, where do you typically find the large quantities of glycerin and gelatin? I can find the glycerin in the pharmacy section, right? What about the gelatin?

toleshed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toleshed Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 8:07pm
post #18 of 32

I only use Michele's fondant for my cookies. I thought it was so much easier and tastier than regular MMF. The glycerine can be found in Michaels or maybe Walmart and the gelatin in your supermarket aswartzw, thats a small box of 3 packs. I haven't used the chocolate but I have an order tomorrow and will be trying that. I've also only used Michele's first recipe which called for milk, not cream. Will be trying that also.
Thanks

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 8:48pm
post #19 of 32

I've only made Michele's fondant one time and I added the 6 oz white chocolate. Mine turned out very hard and I never could get it soft enough to roll out thinly. Should I add a little glycerin? I have heard such amazing things about MFF and I really want to love it ...

Thanks.

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 1:18am
post #20 of 32

What kind of chocolate do you use? Baker's secret is on sale THIS WEEK at my co-op, so I could get some.

I get glycerin at the pharmacy and gelatin at the grocery store. We only have Knox here (that I've ever seen), and you can get a little box of a 12 pack box. Each pack is equal to 1 tbsp. I should look at costco for a bulk pack next time I'm in the city.

I've used both salted and unsalted butter and not noticed a difference. Unsalted butter has a lower water content which is why it is more expensive. I bought a block of butter then cut it up into more or less equal squares. 1 cup = 16 tbsp. I can see that they aren't all exactly the same, but close enough. Anyway, I cut it when it was fridge hard and then put them all in a ziplock in the freezer and just grab out as many squares (tablespoons) as I need.

yummymummycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummymummycakes Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 2:24am
post #21 of 32

Can I clarify something please?

In the ingredients list it lists cream but under method it says milk.

Which one is it please?

Thanks in advance

chilz822 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 4:05am
post #22 of 32

yummymummycakes, you can use either milk or cream... you can actually use pretty much any kind of liquid depending on the flavor/color you're looking for.

aswartzw, I buy my gelatin and glycerine both in larger quantities from Country Kitchen. Much more econimcal than the small Wilton bottles and Knox packets:
http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/product.aspx?T=1&productId=619042
http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/product.aspx?T=1&productId=619040

While pharmacy glycerine is 'edible', the jury is still out of the actual food-safeness of it. Edible pretty much means it shouldn't cause you major hard if you happen to ingest it, but it's not made to be used as a food product.

As for the chocolate I use, I just use the cheap white (or milk choc) almond bark WalMart sells, but you could also use choc chips or pretty much whatever you want and is on sale!. It's just under $2 for a block and it takes 3 squares from that block to make the 6oz. So the entire $2 block of bark is about 24oz. I also use this for covering cake balls.

HTH!

yamber82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yamber82 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 5:41am
post #23 of 32

just watching...

yummymummycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummymummycakes Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 9:57am
post #24 of 32

Thanks so much for clarifying that chilz822 thumbs_up.gif

Will try and find time to make some this weekend.

Another question are you able to emboss on this fondant? I found with the Jennifer Dontz recipe that it seemed to spring back when embossing on it. icon_surprised.gif

yamber82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yamber82 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 12:57pm
post #25 of 32

i saw someone metnion co-op. what kinds of things can you get that way and does anyone know of some suppliers to the southeast texas area? i am trying to start a co-op and cake supplies would be awesome! esp since we don't have a cake supply store in the area other than the general craft stores

jolie1977 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 1:13pm
post #26 of 32

Questions, questions, questions! I have another!!! lol If I chose to use the "cream" that it calls for in the recipe... what kind of cream do I use??? There's coffee cream, cereal cream, thick cream, etc... when a recipe calls for "cream", what kind of cream do you generally use?

narfletta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
narfletta Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 1:14pm
post #27 of 32

what a great discussion! i am learning so much. icon_smile.gif i am confused b/c it says on the recipe that gel colors will change the consistency, but i have always read not to use regular food coloring... what kind of food coloring do you use when you need to change the color?? which have you found that works best??? thanks in advance!!!

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 1:40pm
post #28 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilz822

aswartzw, I buy my gelatin and glycerine both in larger quantities from Country Kitchen. Much more econimcal than the small Wilton bottles and Knox packets:
http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/product.aspx?T=1&productId=619042
http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/product.aspx?T=1&productId=619040

Thanks! This is great.

chilz822 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 2:48pm
post #29 of 32

For the cream, it's totally your choice. I have used milk, heavy cream, light cream, and flavored creamers. The liquid choice is the most flexible option in the recipe.

For the coloring, I use Americolor gels. I haven't had a problem with it changing the consistency to the point that it's damaged the fondant. I usually color in smaller batches and when I need to color the whole batch at the time, I add it during the mixing portion, along with the powdered sugar, so the KA does most of the work and you can better manage the consistency. If I need to make black or red (which seem to require the greates amount of coloring), then I start with a colored base (like milk chocolate fondant for black or a strawberry-type for red... think fruit punch or cherry kool-aid!). If I'm going to mix different colors out of one batch, then I don't add any coloring until I'm ready to actually use it. I have recently experimented with powdered colorings and have found that they're ok but I haven't used it enough to make a real decision yet.

As for the embossing, I haven't tried that, but if you look in my pics at my basketball cake, you can se where I textured it with some plastic canvas sheets and it held great. I also used a pointy dowel to make the texture in the boards on my pirate ship and they held great. I've never embossed but would love to try it!

HTH!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 2:52pm
post #30 of 32

Boy does that sound good!! I'll have to try it. thanks for sharing!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%