Wedding Cake Drop Off

Business By alanaj Updated 15 Jun 2009 , 10:28pm by Loucinda

alanaj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanaj Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 4:21am
post #1 of 12

I think I'm just over anxious but in light of all these bridezilla/wedding disaster stories lately I thought I better get some feedback.

I will be setting up a wedding cake Saturday morning at 7:30am and the reception is not until 6:30pm. Does anyone have any tips on how I can ensure my cake is protected for the day at the venue? Should I set up a rolling cart with the cake in the kitchen and then move it to the cake table later or set it up on the actual cake table and give instructions NOT TO TOUCH IT? I will be back at the venue at 3pm but I am the Maid of Honor so may only have a few minutes to run in and check on the cake. (The bride is a little demanding) icon_smile.gif I know even if something terrible happens even my little bridezilla sister won't complain (I'd slap her) but I really want to impress everyone with the cake since it's my entire family. I'm nervous about the venue staff touching it though!

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

11 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 4:33am
post #2 of 12

Whhhhhew. That is a loooooong time sister. If I saw something that said do not touch on a rolling cart, I would be inclined to think "oh, cool I CAN move it out of the way" (over bumpy carpet, and oops..banged it into the walls etc., etc.) I dunno...sounds like a lot of room for potential disaster to me. Good luck?

alanaj Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 4:34am
post #3 of 12

What is the earliest you would feel comfortable setting up a cake?

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 4:42am
post #4 of 12

Does it have to be set up? Are you able to store it at the venue in pieces? Are you able to store it in the venue's fridge? Are you able to trust someone else to bring it? Is there ANY person who could help you out with this????

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 4:49am
post #5 of 12

If the cake table is set up where it will remain, I would set it up.

I had to deliver a cake on a Friday for a Saturday wedding in April, because there was a big festival on Saturday and I couldn't get within 10 blocks of the venue in a car. But I went back to check on it (by foot) on Saturday and it was perfectly fine.

mvucic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mvucic Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 5:03am
post #6 of 12

I think there is a greater risk of it being damaged/touched etc. if you left it in the kitchen. Too much movement will be going on in there all day for prepping and I can only imagine someone running into it in there. I'd set it up where it should be.

JMO icon_smile.gif

Mirjana

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 11:41am
post #7 of 12

Call the venue and have them set the cake table up where it won't be moved. That is a long day to leave it unattended - I would be nervous - but I have had to do that before also. I hand made a box to cover the cake - I even "cut" windows and taped saran wrap over the holes in case someone wanted to SEE the cake inside the box!

DO NOT leave that cake in a kitchen - there will be tons of people in and out of there and if they are going to be cooking - it will get HOT in there too.

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 11:22pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

Call the venue and have them set the cake table up where it won't be moved. That is a long day to leave it unattended - I would be nervous - but I have had to do that before also. I hand made a box to cover the cake - I even "cut" windows and taped saran wrap over the holes in case someone wanted to SEE the cake inside the box!

DO NOT leave that cake in a kitchen - there will be tons of people in and out of there and if they are going to be cooking - it will get HOT in there too.

The custom box is a great idea. I would write all over it "WEDDING CAKE - DO NOT TOUCH ON PAIN OF DEATH!!!!"

crazycaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazycaker Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 12:38pm
post #9 of 12

Again, this was suggested -- but are there any cake friends who could set it up for you? Maybe you could do the favor for them, someday!

I agree -- avoid the hot (and likely full of garlic, roasting meat, or other smells you don't want with cake) kitchen, and ask if they can turn the air condiitoner way down low for you....

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 12:42pm
post #10 of 12

As long as no one goes near the cake, it will set just fine. I set cakes up in my shop the day before the wedding sometimes. They sit there all afternoon, all night and most of hte next day, then they are moved to the reception, where they sit some more.

alanaj Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 10:26pm
post #11 of 12

Thanks for all the input! I was able to run out before getting dressed but after getting my hair done and set it on the cake table. It was a super tight time schedule but it worked and I'm so glad the whole thing is over!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 10:28pm
post #12 of 12

Glad it all worked out for you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%