Fleur De Lis Mold Help?

Decorating By stephi17 Updated 14 Jun 2009 , 2:41am by stephi17

stephi17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephi17 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 3:24am
post #1 of 4

Hi all,

I recently purchased a Fleur de lis mold from GSA, the name brand is First Impressions. I'm a little unsure of how to best use it. On the website the picture only shows the finished fleur de lis, not the actual mold. I was expecting something a little different. It is a flat silicone mold, so in order to get a 3D fleur de lis, to stand on top of a small grooms cake, I'll have the make two and put them together, which is not a problem at all.

The problem I'm having is that it's not very deep. So when I put fondant or gumpaste in the mold, it pulls out before I can get it even and the back flat. So I'm wondering what you think is the best way to fix my problem. I'm pretty new to this, so I'm sure it's not the mold's fault!! I thought about maybe just using chocolate? But I need to paint it with luster dust/alcohol to make it gold. Can you do that with chocolate? Then how would I attach the two chocolates together and on a stick (or something else to stick down into the cake)?

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated! This is my frist wedding cake for a friend's brother, so I'm a little nervous. Hopefully all of my rambling didn't just confuse everyone icon_redface.gif

3 replies
stephi17 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 11:10pm
post #2 of 4

Sorry -- does anyone know if I can paint chocolate with luster dusts? Will it melt/bleed? (Illinois in June ... humid and warm) Any better suggestions please??

AlanT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlanT Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 7:31pm
post #3 of 4

I have a tutorial on my site showing how to use the molds. It is located here-http://www.globalsugarart.com/instruction_sheets/2008_05_31_AJP9AXTQ_Successful%20Molding2.htm

And yes, you can use luster dust on chocolate. It works well. Alan

stephi17 Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 2:41am
post #4 of 4

Thanks Alan! That tutorial was very helpful. Guess I didn't look hard enough for the info. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%