Does Anyone Rent Kitchen Space Short Term(Like Hourly/daily)

Business By rharris524 Updated 10 Jun 2009 , 1:24pm by muddpuppy

rharris524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rharris524 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 7:18pm
post #1 of 4

If so, is it from a 'rental' kitchen or are you renting space in an established bakery? If it isn't a 'rental' kitchen, what are your arrangements? I can't find any rental kitchens here so I figured that I'd contact some local bakeries and see if I can't convince one of them to rent me some space (by the hour most likely) so that I can come during their non-operating hours to do my baking. I'm keeping my finger's crossed that since the economy is slow that they may be looking to make a little extra money. Also, do you have some sort of contract?

3 replies
MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 9:30pm
post #2 of 4

I rent by the hour at a ballroom/banquet facility. I have no contract with them other than my health dept licensing. I would love to find a place for a monthly amount. The hourly gets to be very expensive.

For example: If your paying $20.00 per hour and your doing a wedding cake and it take 12 hours to do, that's $240.00 for the kitchen out of your profit. Then add in your licensing and insurance, time and travel it gets spendy.

cib Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cib Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 10:50pm
post #3 of 4

I agree with mnsnow. I've rented from catering kitchens and church kitchens. Even at $8 and $10/hr it was way too much $$ for me to lose just for the space rental. Plus I got soooo tired of schlepping all my mixers/supplies each and every time I had to work on something. Definately not worth an hourly rate. Look for monthly rates if you can.

muddpuppy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
muddpuppy Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 1:24pm
post #4 of 4

I have a rental that I pay monthly for and get a preset # of hours.. Over that I am charged for them but it works out well!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%