Making Bc In Advance

Decorating By CSGirl Updated 10 Jun 2009 , 11:56pm by havingfun

CSGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CSGirl Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 6:53pm
post #1 of 11

So, I know there's the sticky on "everythign you wanted to know about buttercream", but honeslty, it's getting hard to search it.

Who makes their buttercream in advance? I have 3 cakes this weekend and I'm contemplating making enough BC for all 3 and storing it.

Would you store it in the fridge or counter? It's the basic wilton cheap and quick recipe. I'll be making almost 8-10 batches of it. Yes, I have a bowl (thank you tupperware) large enough to hold all that!

Thoughts from people who have pre-made. recommend, yes or no? suggestions if you do?

10 replies
Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 8:35pm
post #2 of 11

I've made the wilton recipe that far ahead - I put it in the fridge, then let it come to room temp b4 I use it, then I just mix it by hand a little to make sure it's nice and smooth. I don't use that recipe anymore, though, there are so many better ones I've found now! lol

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 8:41pm
post #3 of 11

I have made it for class and just used what is left over for the next class and that is a week later. I do not put it in the fridge but maybe I should. A quick stir and it is as good as new. This is the wiltons recipe out of the student book.

mgwebb68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgwebb68 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 8:57pm
post #4 of 11

I typically make all of my buttercream ahead of time. I just put it in the fridge and then take it out to come to room temperature when I need it. I found that when I leave it on the counter it has a tendency to "melt". Of course I live in Texas, and pretty much anything will melt here. So now I just mix it, and put it in the fridge, and I don't have any problems with it. I use a good crusting buttercream recipe that I found here or Indydebi's is wonderful too.

L_Collins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
L_Collins Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 9:12pm
post #5 of 11

I usually make mine ahead of time and let it come to room temp. If it still needs to warm up, I use Duff's method of heating my mixing bowl with my small torch. I find this makes it really smooth and creamy. If it has any dairy in it, then you for sure don't need to leave it out too long.

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 9:19pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSGirl

So, I know there's the sticky on "everythign you wanted to know about buttercream", but honeslty, it's getting hard to search it.

Who makes their buttercream in advance? I have 3 cakes this weekend and I'm contemplating making enough BC for all 3 and storing it.

Would you store it in the fridge or counter? It's the basic wilton cheap and quick recipe. I'll be making almost 8-10 batches of it. Yes, I have a bowl (thank you tupperware) large enough to hold all that!

Thoughts from people who have pre-made. recommend, yes or no? suggestions if you do?

I've used leftover frosting that I've had in the fridge for two weeks, though I can't say that I've made up frosting early, really. If you make it up and store it in airtight containers, you should be fine. I'm not entirely sure if refrigeration is necessary, but I always do anyway because mine has butter in it.

To use, just let it get to room temperature, then stir it up for a few--my instructor recommended 2-3 min on your lowest speed setting with your mixer. It will re-incorporate anything that might have crusted slightly.

Like I said, I've saved it for two weeks--sniff it for bad smells and if anything is growing on it toss it, of course.

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 9:26pm
post #7 of 11

I would suggest refrigerating any kind that you make ahead of time. Make sure you have a really clean, fresh smelling fridge (wrap onions, seasoned foods well and store in vegetable bin) away from icing. Make sure icing is in airtight container. It should be good for a while. When i had a large job to do i bought the bucket of Sam's Buttercream, which you can leave out in the bucket for weeks. You can always add flavors to it if you want a different taste.

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 9:49pm
post #8 of 11

I make it a day or two ahead and just cover tightly and put it in the fridge. I have a great chocolate BC that even when it gets to room temp needs to be re-beaten, but still less time than doing the entire recipe.

Good Luck!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 9:55pm
post #9 of 11

I would stay well for a week even out of the fridge.. They say 2 weeks but I dont go that far. It will be good for up to a month in the fridge. Before using. let come down to room temperature and mix by hand so you dont create air bubbles on it
Edna icon_smile.gif

CSGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CSGirl Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 2:19pm
post #10 of 11

Thanks to all! I feel better. I made 14 batches last night! It's in this GIANT tupperware bowl in my fridge. 3 cakes this week, 3 next. And I sitll don't think that'll be enough to finish all 6.

haha! LOTS of frosting! My co-workers asked me today "where's the spoon?"

havingfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
havingfun Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 11:56pm
post #11 of 11

I have collected those big 5 qt ice cream plastic buckets when we have something at church, and they make great containers for icing. They have no smell and don't impart a funny plastic taste. I make icing ahead and it does great. Just made up 3 batches for 100 cupcakes I am baking tomorrow.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%