What Is Your Preferred Method Of Payment?

Business By FatFace Updated 9 Jun 2009 , 8:28pm by cylstrial

FatFace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FatFace Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 6:45pm
post #1 of 11

I accept cash and Paypal only. I was wondering if anyone ever accepts personal checks and if so under what conditions? I am afraid of rubber checks!

10 replies
CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 6:51pm
post #2 of 11

Cash is my favorite, by far. I will take checks (4 weeks in advance of event) and if that puppy bounces, they will bring me cash plus fees or they don't get cake. As for Paypal, I also offer it but not to complete strangers because I am afraid of chargebacks. As an ebay seller, I get nailed with a couple of nasty people who paid, got their item, claimed 'item not as described' and then got Paypal to refund their money AND kept the items........ I was well and truly pissed. But nothing I could do about it - I would be livid if I did a wedding cake and then had that happen.

FatFace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FatFace Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 7:01pm
post #3 of 11

I didn't think that you could do a chargeback when paying someone for something that wasn't auctioned on ebay. Maybe I am wrong but I figured that sending someone money for other than auctioned items was a different process through Paypal.

bakermommy4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermommy4 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 7:07pm
post #4 of 11

Show me the money baby....cash first and foremost....I do accept all other forms of payment but Pay the lady and pay her with CASH

OfficerMorgan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OfficerMorgan Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 7:08pm
post #5 of 11

Really, cash. Checks can bounce and CC's can be charged back. Cash is the safest.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 7:09pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatFace

I accept cash and Paypal only. I was wondering if anyone ever accepts personal checks and if so under what conditions? I am afraid of rubber checks!

ditto! Cash is best but Paypal works great too! I have a business debit card and the money is available the minute they hit the pay now button!

I require payment up front on all cakes. If the cake is over $400 I take a $300 non-refundable booking fee and the balance is due 2 weeks prior to the event. All other cakes must be paid in full at time of order.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 7:13pm
post #7 of 11

Oh and as far as charge backs on paypal, if you list your business as a service and not as a seller of goods, they cannot do a charge back, as sales of services do not qualify under Paypal's Buyer protection plan. But if you sell stuff on Ebay then you are stuck listing yourself as a seller of goods instead of services.

melhoneybee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melhoneybee Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 7:14pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatFace

I didn't think that you could do a chargeback when paying someone for something that wasn't auctioned on ebay. Maybe I am wrong but I figured that sending someone money for other than auctioned items was a different process through Paypal.

That is true, only can happen if selling through ebay....otherwise, you are good, and paypal is just like any other card. I accept cash or Paypal/debit credit cards. I, of course prefer paypal because tclients will typically pay upon placing their order, and then, as someone else said, as soon as they click "pay now" the money is in my account and can be used with my business debit. Love it!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 7:33pm
post #9 of 11

I'll take as personal check for the deposit, but not for the final payment. That has to be made via PayPal.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 7:37pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesdivine

Oh and as far as charge backs on paypal, if you list your business as a service and not as a seller of goods, they cannot do a charge back, as sales of services do not qualify under Paypal's Buyer protection plan.

This is good to know, I've been considering getting a Paypal account. Thanks for that info.

I accept cash and certified bank checks only. No personal checks or credit cards.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 8:28pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

I'll take as personal check for the deposit, but not for the final payment. That has to be made via PayPal.

I think that's a good policy! Maybe cash for the final payment too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%