When They Don't Like Buttercream...

Decorating By LucyintheSky Updated 9 Jun 2009 , 9:35pm by LucyintheSky

LucyintheSky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LucyintheSky Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 2:19pm
post #1 of 16

What do you use when someone insists they don't like buttercream? I'd prefer something as easy to use as buttercream... something that smooths easily and works well to decorate with. I've been looking through the recipes here but am not sure what to suggest to the customer. I pretty much always work with buttercream!

PS - The cake is marble with a chocolate ganache filling...

15 replies
crisc23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisc23 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 2:24pm
post #2 of 16

I use Rich's Bettercream if/when they are against buttercream. I don't know if you are familiar with it but it is very versitile.

I use it for fillilngs a LOT. But not to ice with that often. Only when they are against BC. It can be smoothed with a spatula but does not crust so you cannot use Viva to smooth it.

There are some AWESOME posts about Rich's here on CC. Look for the post by Melvira. I think it is "fun with Bettercream".

HTH!

erin_e Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 2:50pm
post #4 of 16

How about covering it with ganache as well? It's as easy as buttercream and can be smoothed as slick as glass....

CanadianCakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CanadianCakin Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 3:05pm
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

How about covering it with ganache as well? It's as easy as buttercream and can be smoothed as slick as glass....

Ganache also tastes divine!!!!! Depending onwhat they want for decoration ganache could be great...dipping fruit in the ganache and using that for decoration is simple and very nice....especially tasty! (check my photos for strawberry dipped version!) You can also do white chocolate.

Or there is always Fondant or MMF. You can do the fondant and gumpaste decorating..and ganache under the fondant instead of BC is great

HTH

all4cake Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 3:11pm
post #6 of 16

I think chocolate is like a good pair of jeans....it goes with everything....it's as versatile as a white background as far as the decorations go...

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=74936

Although I've never made the version, some use a white chocolate ganache

LucyintheSky Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 3:18pm
post #7 of 16

It's for a baby shower, so there will be a fair amount of piping on it... The sides are going to "quilted" with various textures of piped icing. I'm not sure where to get Rich's here, but the ganache idea might work. I was looking for a light icing that will take color well... Will a white chocolate ganache do that? Also, should I whip it? I usually don't whip ganache when I use it as a filling, but I've never iced with it before. Does it still smooth nicely?

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 3:20pm
post #8 of 16

I say do the ganache and cover it in fondant - you can tint the fondant or paint it whatever color you desire! Great to pipe on too and the quilting is easy - just press the lines into the fondant!

ccordes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccordes Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 3:27pm
post #9 of 16

I say ganache!! I made my birthday cake this last weekend and iced it with white chocolate ganache and it was heavenly. I let it thicken up and come to room temperature and then actually just frosted the cake like I would with BC. I actually had an easier time spreading it and getting it smooth than I do with normal BC.

CakesDownTheFamilyLine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesDownTheFamilyLine Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 3:29pm
post #10 of 16

My grandfather was a profesional decorator in Russia, my grandmother says there is no such thing as Buttercream in Russia. She gave me a recipe of what they use to ice the cakes and is consistancy if very nice to make roses. It also tastes 100% better no body in my family likes butter cream because it to sweet and buttery. But this stuff is awsome!!!! You can't love it thumbs_up.gif

150 grams of unsalted butter
3/4 cups of sugar powder
150 grams of milk
150 grams of sour cream

Make sure the butter is at room temparature, then beat it with the sugar powder. Warm the milk, really lightly like if you would give a baby to drink. While mixing on now low speed add by spoonful(not to melt the butter,if it does start melting then the milk is to hot)the milk. Then the sour cream the same way as the milk.

I don't know if it crusts but it tastes good, just make sure your milk is not to hot. icon_biggrin.gif

LucyintheSky Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 4:27pm
post #11 of 16

Thanks for all the suggestions... I'll have to ask her about fondant, I'm not sure if she wants to go that route or not. I'm also thinking the white ganache sounds yummy.

Ccordes - Did you pipe with that ganache? I keep thinking that to pipe with it I'll have to whip it? Does anyone know if I can pipe with it after it's cooled or if it has to be whipped?

all4cake Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 4:44pm
post #12 of 16

you can pipe with it without whipping.

psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 4:53pm
post #13 of 16

I made white ganache last week and man I thought it was gross. Then again I dont like what chocolate.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 5:05pm
post #14 of 16

I made whipped white chocolate ganache as a filling last week, but I don't think it could be piped, it gets a bit gooey at room temp....? Maybe if made thicker, it takes ALOT of white chocolate to make it thick.

I thought it was nasty fresh, but after it was chilled and then whipped it was whiter and really yummy, like a vanilla whipped cream....and I don't care for white chocolate myself.

What about maybe a stabilized whipped cream?

ccordes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccordes Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 7:23pm
post #15 of 16

Well, to make flowers or something that needs to hold it's shape really well, no, I wouldn't have been able to with mine. To do scroll work or writing, yes, I definitely could have. It was my first time making a ganache, so I know next time will be better!

LucyintheSky Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 9:35pm
post #16 of 16

Well I spoke with her and she has decided to go with fondant, so that's one problem solved. Can I put chocolate ganache under fondant or will it show through as brown?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%