Donut Cake Disaster And Quick Question

Decorating By mindy1204 Updated 9 Jun 2009 , 11:18am by mindy1204

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 12:26am
post #1 of 9

I finished off the donut cake for work tomorrow. I frosted it and it looked good. I heated the buttercream and it seperated (not sure what happened it was recommended here) tried royal icing but it cooled off so quick it didnt spread. I look all the royal icing off which caused me to lose the icing so I had to re-ice the cake. Then the only option I had was cover with fondant. I didnt want to do that because i only had wilton's and it isnt that tasty. but it was either that or scratch the whole cake.

Question is- I mixed the color in the fondant with my hands and now my hands are pink. I washed with soap and it didnt come off. What is the trick to getting it off.

Pick is in photo profile.

8 replies
rharris524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rharris524 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 1:56am
post #2 of 9

The only thing that I know to get food dye off of your hands is time...sorry, I hope someone else has better advice

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 1:59am
post #3 of 9

lol yeh i had the problem a couple of times and i can't get it off so i just have to wait for it to wear off but am keen to know if there is anything else.

For future if you want you can knead the colour in and i don't get that much colour on my hands at all as long as you keep folding the fondant over the colour to try and not get it directly on your hands even though you will still get some icon_smile.gif

rharris524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rharris524 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 2:01am
post #4 of 9

I forgot to add that your cake is really cute!

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 2:07am
post #5 of 9

ok i went looking for answers and some suggestions are: lemon juice, toothbrush and baking soda or vinegar?

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 3:13am
post #6 of 9

Rub a bunch of oil into your hands (preferably before you try to wash it off the first time) then wash THAT off with soap. It will take most of the color with it.

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 3:23am
post #7 of 9

I like the hand scrub stuff. I once did a burgandy fondant for a ribbon for a wedding cake and died my hands. I was in the wedding and desperate. I used a bleach solution like I used to clean the work area. It worked. Probably not the best idea

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 3:36am
post #8 of 9

You have to be really careful when trying to warm up buttercream. If you go too warm, the butter or shortening can start to melt and it'll all separate out.

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 11:18am
post #9 of 9

I only put it in for 20 seconds but boy did it seperate... It looked like curdeled milk, yuck. Still have pink hands but they are much better. Thanks for the info.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%