Real Piece Of Cake In Dummy?

Decorating By Renaejrk Updated 15 Jun 2009 , 7:16pm by mommabuda

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 9:07pm
post #1 of 34

I posted this in the How to section, but not much response, so I thought I'd see how it did in this forum!

They need to serve 200 and it's a come and go reception (anniversary) so we both thought "dummy cake" and sheetcakes to be cut into. She wants them to be able to cut a slice of real cake out of one of the tiers, and I know I have seen posts about this here a long time ago, but couldn't find any in the search.

She wants a 10/8/6 square tiered cake, but that doesn't leave much room for cutting a slice out of either of the two bottom layers - what do I do? I know I can cut a piece of foam out and put cake there (large enough to cut a smaller piece from and have real cake surrounding it), but I'm not sure the best spot to put it! PLEASE HELP!

p.s. - I have already bought the dummies for this and there really isn't much room to cut!

33 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 9:46pm
post #2 of 34

i dont really know how you would put real cake into a fake cake, cause surely you would either have to cut a chunk off the sheet cake, or bake a small cake to cut to fit?
anyway, just cut a slice out the styrofoam (although if it cuts easily - i dont know if it does -, couldnt they just cut that?) and pack with cake. and remember to mark some how which bit is the real bit!
xx

Renaejrk Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 11:00pm
post #3 of 34

That was my plan, but because there's so little room, I wasn't sure where the best place to make that cut would be, since there's really only an inch border from one cake to the next.

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 1:11am
post #4 of 34

And this is less trouble than decorating a real cake? It seems like this would be a lot more work than just making a regular cake and leaving it at that.

Renaejrk Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 1:18am
post #5 of 34

not less trouble, just works better for the situation - being come and go, that way they can have the pretty decorated cake for the different guests coming and going and not have it all cut up - plus, they need to feed 200 - way bigger than I'm prepared to make, so I'd end up making sheetcakes anyway!

hammer1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hammer1 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 1:23am
post #6 of 34

why don't you just bake a real 6 inch or 8 inch layer and use the styro too. i would do a 6 inch layer real on top that way no dowels required.

hammer1

txsteph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txsteph Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 1:27am
post #7 of 34

i agree with hammer, make top tier real, and they can cut it

Renaejrk Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 1:51am
post #8 of 34

what about the topper? It's going to be a "50" out of gumpaste, I guess I could just put it towards the front of the cake, and they could cut towards the back? Do you think that would work?

txsteph Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 2:17am
post #9 of 34

it can be in the middle of the top, they usually just cut a small piece of cake for show

Renaejrk Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 2:24am
post #10 of 34

that's true - and I wouldn't really be making any more cake than I would to have to fill in the cutting area on the bottom tier. I think I like this better - less complicated! I liked the idea of the dummy cake partly because I have so little space and the actual baking/filling/stacking of a wedding cake is very complicated for me here, but rolling out fondant on the table isn't too bad - so the decorating is fine, and I'm doing a big 3d cake I want to use most of my space for!

Thanks for the help guys!

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 2:30am
post #11 of 34

Why not make the bottom tier, the 10" real.....they can cut a slice for pictures and toast....serve the sheet cakes and towards the end of the evening serve the bottom tier. You would still have a cake for display for the most part of the party.

Renaejrk Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 3:06am
post #12 of 34

More cake to make and no space to put it - with what I'm doing I will literally have to kick the kids out of the kitchen - they'll have to eat on a blanket - and I take over the coffee table too! The small cake would be ok, but I don't know if I would have space for anything bigger (will need to put it in the fridge for part of the time and won't be room for it!). I had thought about doing that, but I think I like the idea of the little one because I could find a spot for it in the fridge. If anyone thinks that won't work or won't look right, please tell me - I want everyone's opinion here -it really does help!

txsteph Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 3:29am
post #13 of 34

Due to your space constraints I would go for the little one, they can just cut small piece out of the back of it for show, pass out sheet cake pieces, and then take the rest of the top tier home to eat later. And still have most of cake on display all evening.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 3:45am
post #14 of 34

Unless the table is low or they are tall, I would do the cut out of the bottom. It's just going to be awkward to have them try and cut from the top, IMO. There is a local bakery that rents dummies and that is what she does, cuts it out of the bottom. I do see your point about there not being a lot of room to do the cut though with the difference in the tiers. Hmmm....

Renaejrk Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 3:49am
post #15 of 34

yeah, I was trying to figure that out, without making a huge bottom tier! I already quoted her price how it is! LOL

txsteph Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 3:56am
post #16 of 34

HaHa .. oops I did not think of them not being able to reach the top easily!! I am pretty tall & so is hubby, so it did not cross my mind.

Renaejrk Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 4:06am
post #17 of 34

I know - I didn't even think of that! I am friends with the DIL of the couple, but have never met them - this is a surprise 50th anniversary - they never got a wedding - it's so sweet of the family to do this. I do know they are not picky people and the DIL wants the main "cake" focus to be on the 3d cakes (cheetos and orange crush - what they had on their wedding night at the drive in) because of the special story behind them! She just wants it simple and I think she liked the thought of not having to disassemble (I won't be there) and have someone cut! LOL I know it can be intimidating!

I know there is a perfect solution - I COULD do the bottom tier out of cake, but to slice some off it would really need to be at least 12" - and then I would need to charge her more, which I don't want to do, unless I just eat the cost because it was my "planning" error? Or, maybe I could do 1 less sheetcake and switch something around? argh! If a pro isn't cutting a 12", then it would probably serve close to the same number, maybe a few more if I gave them some instructions. The price difference wouldn't be much, because I charged her $1 a serving (one layer) for the sheetcake, and $2 a serving for the dummy, so if I cut out the sheetcake and add more for using real cake and 12", then it would about even out - I'll have to check the math, though!

What do you think?

Renaejrk Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 4:56pm
post #18 of 34

LOL - I finally was able to get in touch with DIL - the one that's my friend and is coordinating the party - she had been out of town. I gave her several options, and she said "oh, don't worry about it - they can just pretend they're cutting the cake for the pics and we can give them some of the sheetcake to feed each other." hahaha - she's so easy! I was all worried about getting this just perfect, but it really wasn't that important to her! She just wants to have it for display since this is kind of a "mock" wedding reception! LOL - She's my pastor's daughter and such a sweet lady - so I guess no stress for me! Just cover the dummies and focus on the awesome 3D cake!!!

Thanks everyone for the help! I'm so glad this resolved so easily!

txsteph Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 7:42pm
post #19 of 34

I am so glad she is making it easy for you. Have fun!!

Renaejrk Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 7:57pm
post #20 of 34

me too! I'm really psyched to do the 3D! I just can't find the pic of the cheetos that I want!! (1959) - I looked EVERYWHERE! I have even contacted the creator's daughter on facebook!

txsteph Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 11:34pm
post #21 of 34

I have looked & will keep looking, I found a 1974 bag of them here ..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jasonliebigstuff/3498464320/

txsteph Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 11:40pm
post #22 of 34
Renaejrk Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 11:50pm
post #23 of 34

thanks! I'm hoping I can find out whether they were still using the white paper bags in 1959 or they had switched to plastic yet - I'm still looking too!

txsteph Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 12:11am
post #24 of 34

My mom says that they were plastic ... she grew up then & says most all were in plastic by 59.

Renaejrk Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 12:26am
post #25 of 34

Does she think they looked like the one in the pic? The frito company merged with the lay company in 1961, so I'm wondering if they changed the bag, or just left it?

txsteph Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 12:27am
post #26 of 34

She said they were red & white & clear plastic .. that is all she can remember.

txsteph Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 12:29am
post #27 of 34

I described it, she said that sounds right, but not 100% sure.. HTH

txsteph Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 12:31am
post #28 of 34

The 60's one is the one i described, with red lettering

Renaejrk Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 12:35am
post #29 of 34

thank you so much! this is going to be interesting! I don't know if I want to paint cheetos on the fondant as if they're showing through the bag, but it looks like I may be stuck with that! yikes! I thought it was going to be a solid color! LOL

txsteph Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 1:36am
post #30 of 34

Your welcome! glad I could help. Good luck, be sure to post pics here when you get done with it!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%