How Much Fondant To Order?

Decorating By ashleyandlee Updated 8 Jun 2009 , 6:59pm by hollyh

ashleyandlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashleyandlee Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 5:25pm
post #1 of 13

I am ordering some Satin Ice fondant from Goldas Kitchen online (can't get it anywhere in my area).

I'm kind of new to using fondant but have FOUR wedding cakes to do this summer with it, and I'm not sure how much I should order.

The cakes will be 3 tiers, 8", 10", and 12" (double stacked - one is triple stacked). I also have to cover two 20 x 14 sheet cakes.

Goldas Kitchen sells the Satin Ice in 10 kg, 5 lb, and 2 lb tubs. I pretty much only need enough fondant to cover the cakes - no fancy fondant decorations. What size(s) should I order so that I have enough fondant to cover these 6 cakes?

Thanks so much!

12 replies
ashleyandlee Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 6:19pm
post #2 of 13

Anyone??? icon_redface.gif

misserica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misserica Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 6:25pm
post #3 of 13

Just giving you a bump. I order Satin Ice in 5lb tubs but I would not know how much you would need to cover that many cakes. Elise Strauss of Confetti cakes has a break down of size to pound but its in one of her books and I do not have access to it right now.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 6:28pm
post #4 of 13

http://www.satinfinefoods.com/ordering.shtml

I would get 20 pounds although I'm not sure if that is enough. I didn't do the calculations.

kylekaitlyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kylekaitlyn Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 6:29pm
post #5 of 13

I'm not sure how much you will actually need. There are so many variables. I know you said no fancy decorations, but how thick you roll, how much waste, etc. all play a role. I would say if it were me, I'd err on the side of caution and get more than I think I'll need.
I haven't used that site, but how are the prices / shipping as your order increases. It may be cheaper in the long run to get the extra. Plus then you won't stress over the possibility of running out.

Rylan Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 6:30pm
post #6 of 13

I would get 20 pounds although I'm not sure if that is enough. I didn't do the calculations.

Rylan Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 6:30pm
post #7 of 13

Rylan Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 6:31pm
post #8 of 13

SORRY there is something wrong with Cake Central. Lately, I've been getting double posts... I think maybe because I keep refreshing.

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 6:36pm
post #9 of 13

Fondant source has the best prices (including shipping) in my experience. Use the coupon code "cakecentral" at checkout and you'll get an additional 10% off! I would definitely order the biggest container (20 lbs). You may even end up needing more!

STRAWBERRY1390 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
STRAWBERRY1390 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 6:38pm
post #10 of 13

On Global Sugar Art there is a breakdown onces you get to the GSA site you can look on the left near the bottom it will give you a farely accurate account of how much fondant you will need.

Good luck and happy caking,
Stacy

ashleyandlee Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 6:42pm
post #11 of 13

Thanks everyone! I ordered the 10 kg pail and a 5 lb pail - totally 27 lbs. If I end up with too much it's not a big deal - I'll use it up on other cakes. Better to have more than not enough! icon_smile.gif

Thanks again!

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 6:47pm
post #12 of 13

Earlene Moore also has a great chart, higher amounts than some of the other charts which is good if you are new with fondant. It has 2 side by side lists -how much to roll out, then the weight of the fondant that actually went on the cake.

hollyh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyh Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 6:59pm
post #13 of 13

Thanks! Earlene Moore has a great site! I have never used it before but that is great information!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%