Need Your Opinions - Fondant Buldge.

Decorating By iluvjay829 Updated 8 Jun 2009 , 5:32pm by cakesncrumbs

iluvjay829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iluvjay829 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 3:50pm
post #1 of 4

I need your input on what you would've done. I made my first wedding cake with fondant this weekend. Put a huge deal of effort into it, of course didn't charge near enough. When I dropped it off Saturday morning, I knew the bottom tier had started to buldge a little, so I was nervous all weekend. I emailed the bride first thing this morning, and this was her response...

"I was just typing you an email! The cakes were delicious, everyone raved about them and I LOVED my cake. It was gorgeous and exactly what I wanted. Everyone thought Justin brought his guitar to the reception until they realized it was a cake because we cut it! How funny¡K The only thing though is that the reception hall called me around 4pm and told me they were worried about moving my cake because it started collapsing! When I got there, the bottom layer was bulging out over the side and kind of over and down towards the cake stand. We just hid it in the back so hopefully no one noticed. I¡¦m sure it was just the weight of the cake. Maybe the room it was in was kind of hot. Who knows¡ Anyway, I was so happy with the outcome of both cakes, I was telling everyone all about you when they asked who I had do it."

I think she sounded pleased, but I HATE it that it bulged, as I'm a perfectionist. I offered to refund her $50 off the price of the cake. What would you have done? Thanks for any input, I've attached a pic of the cake, but you can't see the buldge from this angle.
LL

3 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 4:19pm
post #2 of 4

I'm not sure about the refund... I mean you did see the bulge before right? Hmmfs.

Anyway, the cake looks beautiful and classy.

princessicesk8s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
princessicesk8s Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 5:18pm
post #3 of 4

Maybe the dowel supports were too short or the fondant was bubbling out because the cake was gasing out. Its hard to tell.

cakesncrumbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesncrumbs Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 5:32pm
post #4 of 4

I wouldn't have offered a refund and only would have said that I was so happy that she loved the cake. I probably would have blamed it on the hot room even if I thought it was my fault. At least next time you'll know to make sure the other tiers are supported really well so your next cake won't have a bulge.

But...the cake you made was very beautiful, very classy and elegant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%