Purple Fondant Changing Color

Decorating By Melchas Updated 8 Jun 2009 , 3:43pm by SJ169

Melchas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melchas Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 2:41pm
post #1 of 10

Has anyone had trouble with purple fondant changing color? I am doing a wedding cake in July and the bride wants deep purple flowers. I made some samples for her to see and left them exposed to sunlight and they changed color. I can always do BC flowers, but I would rather do fondant flowers. Any suggestions?

9 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 3:11pm
post #2 of 10

There is this one type of coloring that helps prevent the fading. I hope someone chimes in to help you with it.

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 3:14pm
post #3 of 10

A resounding YES!! Humpfff - my favorite color too icon_cry.gif . Someone mentioned a purple that is better than most - maybe Chefmaster? Americolor is better than Wilton, but it changes a bit, too. Maybe an expert colorist will chime in here .....

Melchas Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 3:18pm
post #4 of 10

Does the same thing happen with gumpaste?

Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 3:23pm
post #5 of 10

Why not dust them a deep purple? I think flowers that are paler in color have a beautiful contrast when done in a darker petal dust.

I made a rose arrangment where they were done in yellow and dusted in an orange/red color. They really popped much better than had they been the plain yellow alone.

JMHO. icon_smile.gif

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 3:26pm
post #6 of 10

I had the same problem....I used wilton purple and it faded away, it was supposed to be light but boy did it change in the drying process. I have used more color for a darker purple and it changed the consistancy of the fondant....like red does. I thought I would try americolor....but yep your right!

azeboi2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azeboi2005 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 3:26pm
post #7 of 10

direct sunlight with cause the color to change color. store them away from sunlight. you can also dust them with purple petal dust. what i'd do is make them ahead of time with purple gumpaste and then the day before or so dust them to intensify the color (if you hae a steamer put them under the steamer to allow the dust to stick to the flower otherwise run them under a pot of boiling water.) hope that helps

chris

Melchas Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 3:27pm
post #8 of 10

I never thought of that. I'll try a few and see what they look like. thanks.

azeboi2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azeboi2005 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 3:40pm
post #9 of 10

oh and use either chefmaster or americolor...they color fondant and gum paste better than wilton colors.

SJ169 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SJ169 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 3:43pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Quote:

direct sunlight with cause the color to change color. store them away from sunlight.

I had the same problem when a purple bow I made changed to blue!! All of the colors get darker in time so dont add too much color all at once.
Hope that helps
icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%