Buttercream Transfer To Side Of Cake?

Decorating By offigo2030 Updated 9 Jun 2009 , 5:04pm by mareg

offigo2030 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
offigo2030 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 6:33am
post #1 of 9

ive been looking around and im hoping to try the buttercream transfer method on a cake im doing for a friend. ive noticed that most of the sites ive been on, they just transfer it to the top of the cake. can i do it on the side? is there a certain way of doing it or adding something to it to make it stick. i am going to cover the cake in fondant and transfer the buttercream designs onto the sides.
any advice will help icon_smile.gif

8 replies
khkakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khkakes Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 12:11pm
post #2 of 9

I don't know but have been wondering the same thing. Here's a bump

maudabom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maudabom Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 1:30pm
post #3 of 9

It works like a charm. I just did it on the side of helmets and had no problems. I hope I know what you are talking about. (You pipe on to plastic wrap and freeze, then transfer to cake, right?) I did pipe a few lines on the back for glue and they did fine.

Kay_NL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kay_NL Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 1:39pm
post #4 of 9

I did it once (A Hannah Montana cake in my gallery) and it did start to slide down a bit as it started to thaw, I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who knew this though. icon_smile.gif I may have went a bit too thick on the icing.

crazyteach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyteach Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 1:47pm
post #5 of 9

I tried to find the directions on how to do the buttercream transfer-- I know I saw it in a forum and they showed where to get it-- when I searched for it--it came up, but the link took me to a recipe-- anyone here help me with how to even do a transfer!

Kay_NL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kay_NL Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 12:42pm
post #6 of 9

How to do a Frozen Butter Cream Transfer:
http://www.cakecentral.com/article12-How-To-Create-a-Frozen-Buttercream-Transfer.html

Hope this helps!! icon_smile.gif

smoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smoore Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 12:52pm
post #7 of 9

I've done it on a tiered baby shower cake in my photos (the one with the kangaroo mama on top). The only thing different that I did, was after piping the transfer, I laid it on top of cardboard that was curved like the pan (this was on a round cake). When it was time to put them on the sides of the cake, I put a couple dots of butter cream on the back side of the transfer then put it on the cake (you don't need to go overboard with it). I didn't have any trouble at all.

crazyteach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyteach Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 4:31pm
post #8 of 9

Thank you Kay! I want to try it on my next cake!

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 5:04pm
post #9 of 9

I did a Jack on the side of my Nightmare cake. the ones that i did not put a border around slid down the side. I dont know if it was the heat or not but next time I'm putting a border on therm.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%