New Fad Of Cake Brooches

Decorating By requel Updated 10 Jun 2009 , 10:21pm by txnonnie

requel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
requel Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 6:16am
post #1 of 15

I have only had one answer about those brooches that are the new fad on cakes lately, can anyone please tell where they purchase them?. Are they expensive they come in rounds, squares looking like diamond belt buckles, ovals and diamond shaped.

14 replies
thecakechic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakechic Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 12:01pm
post #2 of 15

bump ... i would like to know too

DreamCakesOnline Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DreamCakesOnline Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 12:09pm
post #3 of 15

The best way to find them is to do a google search for cake jewelry. The ones I've seen are like the big old rhinestone buttons they used to make and I've seen several shapes. They are pretty expensive though. I was looking at the fountain type displays with the dangling crystals and they run about $80 a set on some of the sites...

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 12:12pm
post #4 of 15

This site seems to say people are using non-edible ones. Of course they are trying to sell the brooches so it would make sense... http://www.broochesstore.com/

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 12:17pm
post #5 of 15

http://www.weddingmountain.com/c-528-wedding-brooches-pins.aspx

But they don't look like more than a regular brooch. I read an article that says they are used for cakes, sashes or traditional brooches so I don't think they are more than a normal brooch. (let me know if I am wrong). I know a site you can buy brooches wholesale so they are much cheaper. MUCH CHEAPER.

DreamCakesOnline Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DreamCakesOnline Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 1:00pm
post #6 of 15

Has anyone bought any of these that they could tell us how they're attached? If they don't have a special attachment for cake, I would think you could use just about anything for one, couldn't you?

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 1:11pm
post #7 of 15

I am going to guess...at least this is how I would attach it.

I would put a coffee straw over the pin part and attach it probably with RI (the straw that is) and stick it in the cake. Then attach more with RI on the back of the brooch.

www.awnol.com
www.jewelrymax.net
www.bellefashions.com

These places sell brooches very cheap.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 2:33pm
post #8 of 15

this site has the belt buckle kind that you can have your ribbon going through. great prices.
http://www.rhinestonejewelry.com/buwh.html

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 2:38pm
post #9 of 15

What an awesome new trend!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 2:40pm
post #10 of 15

I have a wedding cake for NEXT May (2010) - the bride is wanting to use her Grandmothers brooches on the cake.....thanks for the ideas on how to set them! I am a tad nervous about that cake, the wedding is one that will be featured in The Knot!

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 3:58pm
post #11 of 15

Ive purchased some from Jen Dontz. She has some really nice molds that you can use gumpaste or chocolate in. She uses them on her cakes and if you look at her cakes, their AMAZING! Not to mention, she is the nicest person in the world and our family adopted her last November when she came out to do a class. So now my kids know her as Aunt Jenny!!! lol www.jenniferdontz.com

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 4:07pm
post #12 of 15

Usually brides can be very specific on what they want for a brooche in a cake. I tell them to go and buy whatever they prefer to use. It never fails and they are always happy with how the cake looks. Is some input they have put on their own cake, and they feel their own style comes across on it.
Edna icon_smile.gif

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 4:20pm
post #13 of 15

I used the kind that are like a belt buckle - the ribbon just goes through the buckle and then I attached the ribbon in the back of the cake.

I got mine at Michael's in the wedding section - I believe they had oval and square at my store. They weren't that expenseive $8 - somewhere around there - and of course I used a coupon!!
LL
LL

requel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
requel Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 8:58am
post #14 of 15

Thanks guy's for all the help. Bturpin thanks for the ideas and the gorgeous photo.

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 10:21pm
post #15 of 15

I found one at Michael's craft store.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%