Cake Board Size?? Cut To Fit??

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 8 Jun 2009 , 12:16pm by Mikel79

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 2:14am
post #1 of 9

Hi All!

Please help me. How do you cut a board to fit your cake? For example, I have a 8" round cake and a 8" cake circle. After the cake is baked, it is about 1/4" smaller than the cake circle. The cake pan is the exact same size as the board, so I am unable to trace the outline of the pan to cut it.

I have watched a lot of youtube videos and see that the cake boards are "flushed" with the cake. The cake boards are EXACTLY the same sizes. I have read countless posts about how the cake boards need to be "cut to fit". But how is this achieved??

Any help is appreciated...

=)

8 replies
tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 2:18am
post #2 of 9

I cut them with a pair of kitchen scsissors flush to the crumbcoat. Then I do my second coat so the board is hidden, specially for the upper tiers of a cake.
Edna icon_smile.gif

MBHazel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBHazel Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 2:19am
post #3 of 9

I honestly don't worry about that tiny difference. Your cake shrinks a little bit from the pan size. (As a side note: if it is overbaked it will shrink more)

Mikel79 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 2:21am
post #4 of 9

Hi Tonedna!

Thank you for the tip. Let me just make sure I have it correct. After you crumbcoat your cake do you pick the entire cake up in one hand and cut the board with the scissors in the other? If that is the case, have you ever accidentally dropped your cake?

Thank you again...

cupcakeco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakeco Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 2:23am
post #5 of 9

Are you stacking tiers? If so, this is what I do:

Once the cake is decorated, simply slide it off of the edge of the counter about an inch, align scissors with edge of cake and angle scissors away from the cake (forming a "V" between the cake on one side and blade on the other), and snip. The angle should snip off just enough under neath the edge of the cake so that the board isn't visible.

BE CAREFUL though that your cake doesn't fall!!!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 2:29am
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikel79

Hi Tonedna!

Thank you for the tip. Let me just make sure I have it correct. After you crumbcoat your cake do you pick the entire cake up in one hand and cut the board with the scissors in the other? If that is the case, have you ever accidentally dropped your cake?

Thank you again...

No, I never dropped a cake, but if you have a heavy one that you can't hold in your hand, place it on the edge of your turn table. It will help.
Edna icon_smile.gif

kathyx1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathyx1 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 2:29am
post #7 of 9

It's good that the cake is slightly smaller than the board. You just keep applying layers of crumbcoat, smoothing in between with a smoother at right angles to the board until the cake is the same size.
In other words, build the cake out to the same size as the cake board. You end up with perfectly smooth and straight sides, especially if you coat with ganache. It also keeps your final board clean, just pick up the cake and place on the larger board.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 2:43am
post #8 of 9

I put one of the cakes down on the cake board and then trace around it. I put the cake somewhere safe and then I cut the outline out with sissors. I'm just a hobby baker (so we take a few bites and throw the cake in the trash mostly because we make too many cakes). Anyway,I don't know if that would work with food safety rules and stuff.

Mikel79 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 12:16pm
post #9 of 9

Thank you !!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%