Buttercream Recipe Question

Decorating By katherinem Updated 7 Jun 2009 , 8:44pm by Liz23

katherinem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katherinem Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 8:33pm
post #1 of 4

Question - I have a recipe i use that everyone loves the taste of
i use a stick of butter - 1 1/2 sticks of those crisco sticks (looks like butter packaging) 1 tsp of vanilla 1 tsp of butter flavor (both are the clear kind) 2 pounds of powdered sugar and 1/2 cup of milk.

I didn't know if it was something else in the recipe or the milk - that makes it extra soft - once i put it in the fridge after decorating its fine but in the Florida weather and in my kitchen it can get very soft.

would it be the milk that is doing this?

I tried another recipe on here that said 2 tablespoons of vanilla - it looked fine but the taste didn't taste at all like buttercream it tasted like i was eating vanilla extract - very very overpowering. So i'm probably just going to go back to my recipe since everyone loves the taste but i was hoping someone could give their input or a substitution i could try on it.

Everyone is always so great on here.
Thank you again as always!! I have actually talked to new cakers at Michael's and other stores giving them a little advice here and there and i always tell them your cake bible and new obsession is CAKECENTRAL. COM - i tell them it is the best place - everyone is so great on here. They are always asking do you have a pen? Anyways now I'm rambling.

3 replies
k-loveevents Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
k-loveevents Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 8:42pm
post #2 of 4

Yeah, it's pretty hot here in south ga too! If I know that my cake is going to be in a warm place I substitute crisco for some of the butter the recipe calls for... You can get Butter flavored crisco so that you don't loose any of the taste or put clear butter flavoring in it. It sets up a bit harder and stands up to all that muggy heat we get down here. I use about half of the amount of milk that your recipe calls for... otherwise they look pretty much the same. (I'm not crazy about vanilla extract in my buttercream either.)

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 8:43pm
post #3 of 4

It's the heat softening the butter, actually. You can use a bit less liquid or a bit more PS to combat this.

Liz23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liz23 Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 8:44pm
post #4 of 4

I'm pretty sure it's the butter that's causing the problem. For the 2 lbs. of powdered sugar I use 2 sticks of the Crisco, 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract, 2 teaspoons of butter extract and about 6 tablespoons of water or milk.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%