How Do You Spray Sugar Crystals Onto A Cake?????

Decorating By lovemynhl Updated 8 Jun 2009 , 2:31pm by Win

lovemynhl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovemynhl Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 7:30pm
post #1 of 12

Does anyone know how to spray sugar crystals onto a cake? I'm doing a wedding cake that's covered in icing and then clear/white sugar crytals on top of the icing. I can't imagine how the crystals will stick to the sides of this cake without me slapping them on the sides and messing up the whole things. (That's my luck!) Can I spray the crystals on using an airbrush??

Thanks in advance for your help!

11 replies
pbeckwith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pbeckwith Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 8:24pm
post #2 of 12

I have no idea but that sounds delish! I'll be watching this for a pro answer.

Laurascakefactory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laurascakefactory Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 8:28pm
post #3 of 12

you could try slightly moistening the cake with a clothing steam cleaner and then sprinkle the sugar on... just a thought, never tried it.

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 8:28pm
post #4 of 12

Me too

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 8:36pm
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemynhl

Does anyone know how to spray sugar crystals onto a cake? I'm doing a wedding cake that's covered in icing and then clear/white sugar crytals on top of the icing. I can't imagine how the crystals will stick to the sides of this cake without me slapping them on the sides and messing up the whole things. (That's my luck!) Can I spray the crystals on using an airbrush??

Thanks in advance for your help!

Sugar crystals are WAY too big to go through an airbrush. You could try brushing them on with a big, soft brush like a blush brush. Do dampen the surface first, though.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 8:50pm
post #6 of 12

Wouldn't dampening the surface cause the sugar to dissolve? I don't know that for sure. But I wonder because sugar is so sensitive to water, not that I know the answer.

My instinct would be to use a non-crusting butter cream. Then fold a stiff sheet of paper in half to form a little flume that you can pour the sugar down as you move around the cake. The slide down the paper will give the sugar enough momentum to hit the side of the cake and stick. Any that doesn't will fall to the table where it can be brushed up and sent on a second ride down the flume.

You'd have to do this before stacking the tiers or you'd end up with the extra sugar that doesn't stick accumulating on the tops of the tiers below.

Let us know what you end up doing, and how/if it worked. I'd like to know how to get this effect myself.

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 9:06pm
post #7 of 12

What about brushing the areas with a very thin coat of piping gel and sprinkling the sugar crystals on in the areas that you want it? That's what I did for the turretts on my grandaughter's castle cake in my photos.

HTH's

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 9:16pm
post #8 of 12

Yeah, piping gel...that's the ticket!

CakeDiosa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiosa Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 6:11am
post #9 of 12

That's a question I had too and your airbrush suggestion gave me and idea that I'll try. What about putting some in your hand or folded paper then using your airbrush like a blower to blow them off your hand and onto the cake???

Hmmm....I think I'll try that.

Your question helped me answer my own question!
Thanks!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 11:50am
post #10 of 12

I've done it. I used tylose glue and it stuck perfectly fine.

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 2:19pm
post #11 of 12

Used thinned piping gel (brush on cake), then put the sugar on with hands.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 2:31pm
post #12 of 12

If you are using buttercream, even if it is a crusting buttercream, you are going to have issues with denting the surface. You might have better luck with rolled buttercream and, best --Fondant is a different medium and much easier to work with.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1210181 For this cake, I thinned piping gel, painted it onto the sides and top of the cake, then proceeded to work applying the crystals the same way one does with nuts, etc. By hand. The tier was placed on a grid and then over a box to catch stray crystals as they fell. Each tier was worked separately then assembled. Even then, I had patches of crystals that wanted to fall off (maybe the gel was thinner in some spots) so I had to go back and touch it up.

It's really kind of a pain... but looks great in the end!
Good Luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%