Crusting Buttercream Icing -- Help, Please

Decorating By PDXSweetTreats Updated 8 Jun 2009 , 2:30am by Melchas

PDXSweetTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PDXSweetTreats Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 7:05pm
post #1 of 10

This is probably an old topic among all of you, but I'm new to CC and I couldn't find a way to seach the forum area (sorry . . .). With 778 pages to search, it seemed easier to post the question --

What ingredients help a buttercream icing to crust?

I prefer not to use an all shortening icing, and the recipe I use most frequently calls for a 1:1 ratio of butter/white margarine to hi-ratio shortening. I was wondering if the butter portion is what's preventing the crusting.

Would adding merinque powder help? Or, should I reduce the butter so it's more of a 1:2 ratio of butter to hi-ratio shortening?

TIA (I saw the list for acronyms, thanks icon_smile.gif ), and I think you guys are simply AMAZING! This site is SO inspiring!

9 replies
staceytisdale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceytisdale Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 7:16pm
post #2 of 10

www.designmeacake.com

I love this recipe for crusting buttercream.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 7:27pm
post #3 of 10

i use crisco. or hi-ration shortening. and real butter.. and also whipping cream... and the poweder sugar. tastes great... and crust great. and i use the viva paper towel smoothing method within minutes after icing it . this is the american buttercream of course.. i make the smbc. imbc,etc. , when requested also.hth

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 8:09pm
post #4 of 10

Crusting is a result of the ration of fat to sugar. More fat .... less crusting. More sugar ... more crusting.

dadawley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dadawley Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 8:25pm
post #5 of 10

I too USED to prefer the icing with some real butter, but yesterday I tried "Indydebi's" crusting buttercream recipe and I am sold! Crusts beautifully and everybody loved it.

Indydebi, you ROCK!!! thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 9:54pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadawley

I too USED to prefer the icing with some real butter, but yesterday I tried "Indydebi's" crusting buttercream recipe and I am sold!

Wow! What a compliment! icon_smile.gif

PDXSweetTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PDXSweetTreats Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 10:33pm
post #7 of 10

Thank all of you for the help! I found IndyDebi's crusting buttercream recipe, and I'll definitely try it. Debi, do you use Crisco, or do you use another brand (or even hi-ratio shortening) that still contains the trans fats?

P.S. Debi, I read your member Spotlight -- GREAT story! And wonderful cakes, too. icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 10:35pm
post #8 of 10

I use crisco and nothing but crisco for 30 years. I sound like a commercial, but "I tried a cheaper shortening once....." and I've NEVER done that again. It was way back in the beginning and it was the only time my roses kept falling off of the cake. Crisco-only ever since and never had a flower fall off since.

Shirlcantuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shirlcantuck Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 1:56am
post #9 of 10

I too only use Indydebi's buttercream. I am sold on that. Indy I have a question for you, how do you keep the buttercream from cracking? I made a cake this weekend for a graduation, but by the time I got it too its location it had several cracks.

Help

Melchas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melchas Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 2:30am
post #10 of 10

This is what I use for buttercream frosting. It crusts really well, is easy to work with and hold up well in warm weather.

Buttercream Frosting
(makes a double batch - 6 cups)

1 cup of butter Flavored Crisco
1 cup of White Crisco (regular flavor)
1&1/2 tsp. Vanilla Flavoring
1/2 tsp. Butter flavoring
4 tblsp. of milk
2 lb. of Powdered Sugar (approx. 8 cups) - I use C & H
2 tblsp. of Meringue Powder
2 tblsp. of Light Corn Syrup
2 pinches of salt

Cream Shortening and corn syrup, add flavoring and milk and mix until complettely incorporated. Add Meringue powder and salt, mix well. Next add the powdered sugar a little bit at a time and mix on medium-low speed until all ingredients have been thoroughly combined. Contnue to mix until smooth and creamy.

This recipe makes stiff consistency icing. For medium consistency icing add 2 tblsp of For thin consistency icing add 4 tblsp of water to icing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%