How In The World To Make A Decent Sheetcake?

Decorating By Pebbles1727 Updated 9 Jun 2009 , 4:40pm by diane

Pebbles1727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pebbles1727 Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 7:03pm
post #1 of 21

How do you all do it? Mine are just so terrible. They stress me out twice as much as any tiered cake and look so much worse. I pretty much given up on even taking pictures of them. Why do people stuck on those? It's not that I'm too good for sheetcakes, it's quite opposite- I'm not good at them at all. I'm starting to honestly dread and hate them. I can never get the design, spacing, writing, colors, or proportions right. How do you get better at these things?!
P

20 replies
ton247 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ton247 Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 7:12pm
post #2 of 21

I know what you mean. I hate them too! It's like having a huge blank sheet of paper.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 7:21pm
post #3 of 21

The only thing that has helped me in the least was looking through oodles and oodles of other people's work and trying to mimic them in whole or in part.

There's quite a few CCers that are incredibly good at them and are great for inspiration

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 7:30pm
post #4 of 21

i have no problem with sheet cakes of any size, i actually enjoy decorating them with whatever design.. i have gotten where i am pretty fast with them.. been decorating for 13 years. but have always like to do them..

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 7:51pm
post #5 of 21

I hear you with the writing. I would practice writing common phrases (Congratulations, Happy Birthday, Happy Anniversary, etc.) so that you get the idea of about how long you write each word. That way when you're writing on the cake you can visualize how much space you would need. My biggest hurdle is straight lines. My writing always ends up lopsided, like this:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1307775

So after a while I just gave up and started making it look like I meant to write that way. Like this:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1307759

Good luck! Just keep practicing!

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 9:21pm
post #6 of 21

you could choose just not to do them, sell your customers onto a regular round/ square instead.
xx

Pebbles1727 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 3:03am
post #7 of 21

Thanks you all. I've looked at tons of sheetcakes here on CC, it's just I cannot really replicate any of them. Just sheetcakes I guess, all that empty flat space. They don't look cute or well-done, everyone of them seems to look like my first one... Really big confidence downer. Anyone else got any more tricks to make them look good?
P

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 3:12am
post #8 of 21

Are you kidding! I LOVE your roller skate sheet cake! I love all of your cakes. You do amazing work...I think you are being your worst critic!

all4cake Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 3:24am
post #9 of 21

and you've looked at cakery's
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&meta=allby&uname=cakery&pageID=7

work???? The way she sections off the surface of her sheet cakes makes it not seem like so much empty space to deal with...kinda like the sides of a 2 tier cake...or bcjean's http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=643563
way of doing scenes

or the florals done by Roland Winbeckler

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/0930113101/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=283155&s=books

If the space seems too large, mark off an area and pretend it's the top of layer cake and the area outside of that marked off area is the sides of a layer cake/tier.

crp7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crp7 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 3:27am
post #10 of 21

I agree that your cakes are great. I think that a lot of people like sheet cakes because they are easy to cut and serve. Transportation is easier also.

Don't give up. You are doing great.

Cindy

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 3:30am
post #11 of 21

Here is an example of a sheetcake that looks classy.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=31698

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 3:34am
post #12 of 21

One word:

PROJECTOR!

A Projector will solve all of your spacing/handwriting problems icon_smile.gif As long as you can trace, you'll be fine ::thumbs up::

Suzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzycakes Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 3:44am
post #13 of 21

Another CCer to look at is GWU90 -- she does a fantastic job on all of her cakes - but I truly love her sheetcakes! Most of my orders are 90% sheetcakes - (note see where I am from!LOL!!). My customers refuse to order anything but sheetcakes - because they don't know how to cut anything else!

I haven't had time to download any new photos for months - but I have been talking with and watching gwu90 and learning alot about decorating sheetcakes.

Just keep praticing - and I also usually draw out my design on scratch paper to start with for placement preference and writing style/size.

Good luck!

Suze

Pebbles1727 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 4:02am
post #14 of 21

Thanks you all! And I LOVE cakery and gwu90, and that's exactly what I'm talking about-their stuff looks easy and effortless, especially cakery's, it's just looks like she doodled on the paper. I tried drawing stuff out on the paper and it looks okay, but I start putting things on the cake and everything is off. It's like my sheetcakes are... well.. tortured... Maybe I just need to go back to filling images with stars, at least I have some control over that. Thank you for all encoraging words, that really helps. I really like the idea of trying to section off parts of the cake, maybe making the field smaller if I create an additional inside border. I definitely will try that next time! Thanks again, P

all4cake Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 4:14am
post #15 of 21

Pebbles1727, looking at your gallery and the sheet cakes you've got in it, I can't see where there is a problem. All of your cakes, sheet cakes included, look fantastic.

Peachiekeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peachiekeen Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 4:21am
post #16 of 21

That skating cake is sooooo cute! I love the colors.
I think people are just so used to seeing sheet cakes in Walmart and such that they think it's the norm. Like sheet cakes are for birthdays, and other shaped cakes are for weddings.

By the way, I love the "classy" sheet cake rylan posted. That is one beautiful sheet cake!

Pebbles1727 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 4:51am
post #17 of 21
Quote:
Quote:

Pebbles1727, looking at your gallery and the sheet cakes you've got in it, I can't see where there is a problem. All of your cakes, sheet cakes included, look fantastic.

That's because I don't even take the pictures of the ones I hate, much less post them. The one I did yesterday was a bumber... Thank you for kind words though

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 10:31pm
post #18 of 21

Seriously, your roller skates sheet cake is amazing!!

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 10:58pm
post #19 of 21

you really have to practice at it...it does take some time. i had those same problems when i started doing sheet cakes, but as i did more and more, i got better at them. icon_wink.gif

Pebbles1727 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 2:59pm
post #20 of 21
Quote:
Quote:

you really have to practice at it...it does take some time.

Hi Diane,
did you just keep doing them, or is there a way to practice without messing up the cake? Make the cake, decorate, then take all of the icing off and try something else?
Thanks, P

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 4:40pm
post #21 of 21

i use to do 5 to 7 sheet cakes a week and i planned out how i wanted them to look on paper, then i just did them. you can also order cake dummies to practice on. they come in sheet cakes. maybe that will help you get some practice! icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%