I've decided to take the homemade fondant plunge. I'm making a mocha-bourbon cake for June's birthdays at work, and want to cover it in either a mocha or mocha colored fondant.
So, I have a bunch of marshmallows in my pantry. What recipe do I use, and how do I make it mocha?
Add instant coffee to the water or use some leftover perked coffee instead of the water. Replace about 1/2 cup of the powdered sugar with cocoa powder.
1/4 cup shortening
8 cups marshmallows
2 tbsp water
2 lbs powdered sugar (7-8 cups)
I now add 1 tbsp glycerine to the mix as well. It helps keep the fondant from drying out.
Thanks for the ingredient list. Can i have some directions, too? This is my first time making fondant, so I'm clueless.
I forgot the flavouring. Add 1 tsp. flavouring i.e. clear vanilla to the marshmallow mixture.
1. Put the marshmallows, coffee, shortening and glycerine into a large bowl and microwave 1 min. Take it out and stir. If all of the marshmallows have not melted put it back in for 30 seconds. Take out and stir again. If the marshmallows are not all melted, put back in for 10 second intervals.
2. If the mixture is too hot it takes too much powdered sugar and is dry the next day, too cold and it doesn't take enough sugar and it will be sticky the next day. You will learn the proper temp the more you work with it.
3. Add 4 cups sugar mixed with 1/2 cup cocoa. Stir. Add more powdered sugar until you can't stir any more. I usually get up to 6 at this point.
4. Put a bit of the reserved sugar on the counter and start to knead the fondant. If it is sticky add more sugar. If it is dry keep kneading until there is no more sugar on the fondant. You will still have the reserved amount.
5. The fondant is better at the resting stage if it is a bit soft. If will firm up when you let it rest a day.
6. If the fondant is too soft the next day knead in more of the reserved sugar. If it is a bit sticky put shortening on your hands and work that into the fondant.
7. When it is time to roll it out, knead it. If it is really stiff, microwave it about 10 seconds to soften it up a bit. Knead it until it is workable.
8. Roll it out on a bit of powdered sugar. Keep moving it and check to make sure that it is not sticking. Add more sugar underneath each time you check it, if necessary.
9. Roll out about 1/8 - 1/4 in thick.
10. Place on cake, smooth and trim.