Icing Issue

Decorating By something_sweet Updated 6 Jun 2009 , 9:44pm by something_sweet

something_sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
something_sweet Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 8:53pm
post #1 of 4

I am hoping that someone can enlighten me to what I am doing wrong here. I am having problems with my icing (slightly) sliding down the sides of my cake and belling at the bottom. Then eventually the top cracks around the edge from it falling down. I had this happen 2 weeks ago (first time ever) and I still haven't figured out the problem. I use Sugar Shacks method of frosting the cake. The first time I put the icing on, the cake was at room temp (about 70 degrees) and the second time, after getting mad and removing all of the icing, I put the cake in the refridgerator for an hour, then same thing. My husband thought that maybe it was because of the humidity, so we brought our dehumidifier in last night, and same thing today. Please... any help would be appreciated. I decorated wedding cakes in August last year and had no problem... now all of the sudden wham! I am so frustrated!!! TIA

3 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 9:24pm
post #2 of 4

You say you use SugarShack's method, but are you using her recipe?
Sounds to me like the icing is too thin.
Not knowing (for sure) which recipe you are using can't suggest anything further.

turnerdmann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
turnerdmann Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 9:37pm
post #3 of 4

Just a thought. Are you using shortening with transfat? When Crisco took the transfats out, my icings went crazy and did strange things. I thought I'd forgotten everything I every knew.

something_sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
something_sweet Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 9:44pm
post #4 of 4

I do not use Sugar Shacks recipe, I use 1/2 Shortening 1/2 Butter recipe, but I do use a shortening WITH transfats. The thing that stumps me is that I used icing from the same batch on double layer a sheet cake and didn't have any problems. I guess it is possible that the icing is too thin, I will try it a little thicker next time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%