Not A Fondant... Am I Outcasted?

Decorating By SunMamaof3 Updated 8 Jun 2009 , 5:16pm by HamSquad

SunMamaof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SunMamaof3 Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 8:35pm
post #1 of 33

I have noticed many many B E A U T I F U L cakes... but unfortuately most of them are fondant... nothing that is bc ... and I do not do fondant... 2 reasons... too complicated to work with and it does not taste good... icon_wink.gif But I feel the cakes I do is not as great... and feel I am being outcasted... is there a section where I can just post my pictures that are only BC...

Just wondering... thanks for reading this...

32 replies
blu_canary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blu_canary Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 8:47pm
post #2 of 33

Ok, I'm a bit of a newbie, so I really can't advise you on a place to post your BC cakes. And if you love working with BC, all the power to you, I do too.

BUT...and this is a big but...there are some outstanding fondant recipes on here. I recently tried an MMF that I found here and while it is still chewy, it did taste good. It didn't seem like a waste of effort for me to put it on the cake at all. I felt good about someone eating it, as opposed to warning no one to eat it before I served it. icon_smile.gif

In the meantime, here's to a great buttercream and all the beautiful cakes made with it!

MLand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MLand Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 8:48pm
post #3 of 33

I know how you feel. I have stayed away from fondant - I just started "doing" cakes Dec of 08. Like you, the fondant is more trouble for me than to just do it in bc. But recently the fondant has been growing on me! I am doing a Baptism cake next week, so I did the booties and a rosary yesterday and fell in love with the cuteness of the fondant items. I am tilting toward the kitchen now to "play" with fondant. I don't like the bought fondant either, I make mmf to use now.

erin_e Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erin_e Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 8:53pm
post #4 of 33

I've found that there's not specific "fondant" spot v. a "bc" style of decorating on the board. I lurked a while before actually signing up and I'm a newbie to the board and caking as well. You won't be an outcast around here whether you do all fondant or none at all. Everyone I've seen post seems to have a really healthy respect for both mediums. (I will tell you that you may get a lot of "try this one" suggestions by saying that fondant tastes bad...just a heads up LOL) I love working with fondant b/c I'm a bit more hands on and have just had a blast with it so far... I went into it with the "ooohhhhh play doh for cakes!" kind of mind set and have fun with it. I would say that if you don't wanna try fondant more power to you...just keep posting and cc-ers will definitely keep looking!
Happy Caking! icon_biggrin.gif

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 8:53pm
post #5 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunMamaof3

I have noticed many many B E A U T I F U L cakes... but unfortuately most of them are fondant... nothing that is bc ... and I do not do fondant... 2 reasons... too complicated to work with and it does not taste good... icon_wink.gif But I feel the cakes I do is not as great... and feel I am being outcasted... is there a section where I can just post my pictures that are only BC...

Just wondering... thanks for reading this...

I would bet you that some of the BEAUTIFUL cakes you look at are BC, not fondant, and you just don't know it. I've never been able to get my BC that smooth but some people here can do an AMAZING job that way.

I think you're being paranoid, not outcast. Just post your pictures by theme and don't worry about whether they're fondant or not!

TamiAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamiAZ Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 10:54pm
post #6 of 33

Just give it some time..You will come to the dark side!! icon_evil.gificon_razz.gif Fondant seems intimidating, but it's not that difficult once you work with it.

underthesun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
underthesun Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 11:19pm
post #7 of 33

I agree with varika. I think you'd be surprised at how many are actually buttercream.

I have only worked with fondant, not because I don't want to do buttercream, but because I only have time to practice one method, at the moment. I have the sugarshack buttercream DVD and have watched it a couple of times. Can't wait to actually give it a try, but again, too busy trying to perfect fondant.

I will also say that I don't love fondant. i always put a little more than a crumb coat of buttercream under my fondant because of this. But I really encourage people to give it a try and several have come back and said they not only ate their fondant, they ate everyone elses. I have to hide it from my 14 year old and his friends. icon_biggrin.gif

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 11:24pm
post #8 of 33

Seriously I like to look at all the pics. So post yours! And if you ever want to dabble on the dark side icon_evil.gif try MFF and flavor it more then it says-it might surprize you. i know the chocolat addition recipe surprized me! icon_eek.gif It's GOOD! But I love Buttercream! So post your pics!

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 11:35pm
post #9 of 33

HTH, I have been making cakes for over twenty years, Wilton Era-LOL.
Most of my cake on here are BC. Just started working in fondant this past year. I started working first with BC on cakes with the addition of fondant flowers or decorations, then worked my way up to covering cakes - Bride doll wedding cakes. Edna-Tonedna makes some extraordinary cakes in BC and they are here on CC. I love to work in BC. Starting to love working in fondant. Do what works for you! Tonedna website: http://www.designmeacake.com/.
Hammy

steplite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steplite Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 11:46pm
post #10 of 33

I purchased Dede Wilson's book "Wedding cakes you can Make" She prefers Buttercream over Fondant. I don't use Fondant mainly because of the taste. Although, The cakes with fondant are beautiful I've seen all buttercream cakes on this site that look just as good.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 11:52pm
post #11 of 33

I am also a true Buttercream decorater as well but I use alot of fondant embellishments like curly cues..quins,stars and other thing I can make.I don't however like to cover entire cakes with fondant and my customers 100% like Buttercream and wouldn't pay the extra cost for fondant anyway so it is an easy choice.It depends on you and what your customers like and demand.I love the look of fondant over Buttercream but don't like the taste.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 11:54pm
post #12 of 33

Check out this cake...

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1370062

It's buttercream!!! icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

I was blown away when I found out that it was not a fondant covered cake! (Yes, the bows and hearts are fondant, but not that smooth, smooth buttercream surface.) Notice, too, how many people have admired it. No. There is not a specific gallery in which to upload buttercream cakes here on CC, but no one plays the discrimination game! There are just as fabulous buttercream cakes as there are fondant and just as many people (like me) who admire bc work and appreciate the talent it takes to make it smooth and precise. I have loads of bc cakes in my favorites!

Keep on cakin' -- any way you want, and have no fear of rejection. thumbs_up.gif

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 11:59pm
post #13 of 33

This note is for hamsquad: You need to allow comments on your cakes! I have admired some of yours in the past and was thwarted when I found I could not leave you a comment. I especially love your first fondant cake with the roses and calla lilies! It is such a cute one!

underthesun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
underthesun Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 12:02am
post #14 of 33

That is a fabulous cake Win! Makes me want to give it a try icon_biggrin.gif

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 12:09am
post #15 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Win

This note is for hamsquad: You need to allow comments on your cakes! I have admired some of yours in the past and was thwarted when I found I could not leave you a comment. I especially love your first fondant cake with the roses and calla lilies! It is such a cute one!

Hi there, I'm still a newbie with this site, I didn't know you couldn't leave me comments, Man am I open for comments, How does this work? Not trying to switch this thread, need help!
Hammy

yamber82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yamber82 Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 12:44am
post #16 of 33

i actually get really intimidated when someone requests a cake with no fondant. i personally think rolling out fondant is wasier than trying to get a perfect bc coat, so more power to you for being skilled with the bc. i would brag about that, lol icon_smile.gif and as for the taste, i agree... or did until today. the wilton fondant tastes like poo. i tried an mmf recipe that was better but still not really good. then bought some satin ice and it was pretty good. ...then i just tried jensencakes(? i think)'s recipe and hubby and i were both very impressed. it was VERY and stress the very tasty. i never in my life expected fondant could actually taste that good.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 12:45am
post #17 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSquad

HTH, I have been making cakes for over twenty years, Wilton Era-LOL.
Most of my cake on here are BC. Just started working in fondant this past year. I started working first with BC on cakes with the addition of fondant flowers or decorations, then worked my way up to covering cakes -

I could have written this word for word. 30 years I was a BC only caker and these evil CC'ers, as someone described it above, coaxed me over to the dark side and now I do fondant here and there. I still call myself a fondant newbie, but I'm forming my Popeye arms! thumbs_up.gif

CakesbyCindi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyCindi Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 12:58am
post #18 of 33

I am a hobby baker, but have started to work a little with fondant and gumpaste. My family and friends prefer BC, they do not like the taste of fondant, both bought and homemade, I have a few who LOVE bettercream, not my favorite... I say, keep posting your pictures, your cakes are great. The dark side is calling me though!!

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 1:05am
post #19 of 33

Please still post them! I love seeing both buttercream and fondant cakes. I mainly work with buttercream and enjoying seeing cakes with it.

Welcome to CC

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 1:09am
post #20 of 33

I would love to make more fondant cakes, but no one wants them - no matter what recipe I use. They just don't like it. So, I'm an old school decorator right now. But, I will prevail, and people will like fondant. SO, even though I sympathize with you on fondant v buttercream (NOT trying to start a debate ie mix v scratch here people), I think that you should work on perfecting all of your skills, and if right now that is BC, then go for that.

hammer1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hammer1 Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 1:11am
post #21 of 33

i only do buttercream, and smooth it....check out my pictures and then you might try seaching smoothed buttercream for others....that is the tag i use when posting....i hate fondant no matter the recipe or brand, but i love the look. good luck

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 1:33am
post #22 of 33

To complicated and doesn't taste good - NOT!!! LOL You just are not doing it correctly and don't have good fondant. I was intimidated by fondant for years...and when I learned how...OMG, WHAT was I waiting for? Now, 99.95 of my weddings that go out the door are my white choc. fondant. People LOVE the looks and the taste. The techniques really are simple, you just have to learn the basics. I teach this, so I see how easily people can pick up the techniques.

Jennifer icon_smile.gif

CanadianChick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CanadianChick Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 1:52am
post #23 of 33

I'm a buttercream only gal too - and so far they haven't thrown me off the board.

I'll do gumpaste flowers from time to time, those are fun, but I don't even really like doing fondant accents.

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 2:15am
post #24 of 33

As the person who glances at every photo that gets uploaded to CC I think you might want to take a second look. I believe far more buttercream cakes are uploaded than fondant. There are some absolutely wonderful buttercream decorators here including
sugarshack (her buttercream is so flawless that people think it is fondant, she uses some fondant but most of her older photos are buttercream)
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-photos-by-sugarshack.html

cakery does wonders with sheet cakes in buttercream. She has some of the prettiest borders you will see.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-photos-by-Cakery.html

cakemommy does beautiful buttercream work, check out her lambeth method cakes
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-photos-by-cakemommy.html

an old CC friend and another lambeth method decorator as well as buttercream is ShirleyW
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-photos-by-ShirleyW.html

Also, ThanhThanh, her cakes are so unique
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-photos-by-ThanhThanh.html

Another one is cricket8923
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-photos-by-Cricket8923.html

And LisaMS
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-photos-by-LisaMS.html

I prefer to decorate with buttercream but have recently tried more and more fondant cakes and for certain things, fondant can't be beat. I really respect buttercream decorators because it is a little harder to do some things with it like make 3-D cakes.

I think you just have to look around, there are a lot of us buttercream decorators here.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 4:24am
post #25 of 33

I don't think you have to be one or the other. I do both BC and fondant cakes, prob in equal amounts. They are different looks, different skills and different tastes. Just depends upon what you want to do!

You can learn either or both as you so choose. And there are good tasting fondants out there too.

But if you choose to be an all BC decorator, you are not shunned or shamed! You are wonderful!

blondeez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blondeez Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 4:32am
post #26 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamiAZ

Just give it some time..You will come to the dark side!! icon_evil.gificon_razz.gif Fondant seems intimidating, but it's not that difficult once you work with it.

LOL, so true.

CanadianCakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CanadianCakin Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 5:47am
post #27 of 33

Almost all of my cakes are BC I have only done 2 cakes with Fondant a cream cheese based fondant recipe found on cc (which tastes fantastic btw!) and the other was MMF. I have done plenty of flowers and extras with fondant (which I have now found my fave is a gum paste/fondant mix) but I truly love the BC covered cakes. There are lots of great tips and tricks to get the faux fondant look for BC. I am getting much better and find every cake I do is smoother then the last!
As too the scary side of fondant.....it was for me overwhelming at first but i just kept playing with it and practicing to find all the right consistencies and textures that make working with it waaay easier. If you wanna give it a try even just to 'play' with try the Marshmallow fondant...simple to make at home and easy to work with, and tastes better imo!!
best of luck!
Ashley

sparklynne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparklynne Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 6:06am
post #28 of 33

I too am a bc girl. It is just your preference I think. I have done both and while I am not all that comfortable with fondant yet I still attempt it from time to time. This is a great place to get good feedback and tips from folks if you are stuck or in need of some help and we all have had our "bad" cake days from time to time. Don't be discouraged. You should post your pictures. I have some in my album that I just cringe when I look at them but then I remember that I was just starting out and after learning some techniques my cakes have gradually gotten better. Consider working with BC a tempermental art form just as fondant is. The more you do the better you get. You will find some folks tricks work aces for you and other times you will experiment and find your own way. Any baker knows the necessary skills involved to getting crisp corners or smooth finishes with BC. Not always an easy task or there would not be so many threads on this matter icon_smile.gifI am definitely pro bc but I do love the mmf recipe when I need to use iticon_smile.gif Good luck to you and I really do hope to continue to see your work on here for some time to come.icon_smile.gif

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 12:43pm
post #29 of 33

I totally agree with Sharon that there is not a right and wrong. If you like bc cakes, then by all means, do them! People love bc!!!! But don't be inyimidated by fondant and think it's difficult. And, there are GOOD fondants out there...

Jen icon_smile.gif

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 4:46am
post #30 of 33

I do mostly bc but have done fondant. MFF is very good. I have made a batch and had all the kids I know taste it and they love it. My daughter thinks its her personal treat mom makes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%