What Caused This?

Decorating By niccicola Updated 11 Jun 2009 , 5:50pm by Cakerer

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 6:46pm
post #1 of 10

I'm guessing it was because I thawed, torted, filled, frosted, and fondanted within 6 hours. Next time split it up between 2 days?

My cake has cellulite and looks like an elephant sat on top of a marshmallow.
LL

9 replies
niccicola Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 6:47pm
post #2 of 10

here's another
LL

niccicola Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 6:49pm
post #3 of 10

and one more
LL

pebblez87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pebblez87 Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 6:51pm
post #4 of 10

oh im so sorry those pictures right there are what make me afraid of fondants haha. Was it a cake for sale or a fun cake? was it the thawing or the filling that you think dimpled it? i loved the colored bead edging tho very nice

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 6:53pm
post #5 of 10

I had that happen and I thought it was because I put too much buttercream on the crumbcoat. You might be right about the resting the cake. I just did a wedding cake over a two day period, and it turned out perfect.

Also, I KNOW high humidity will do it every time.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 7:18pm
post #6 of 10

well, we all know that cakes are even worse than dogs in how fast they age!

after all 1 day in a cake's life is a good 20 human years.

and we all know what happens when gravity has it's way with us....just look how we sag w/ time and keep those plastic surgeons very busy trying to lift what gravity has pulled down.

long way of saying....

heavy fondant (skin), soft undercoating of BC (fat) and gravity over a short time by our standards = "old age cake"

this is very similar to the dreaded cake bulge (spare tire) that happens between layers in a tier

all of which goes to prove.....

GRAVITY will get you every time!

niccicola Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 7:31pm
post #7 of 10

Drat-you know, I was putting TOO thin of a layer of fondant on my cakes, and just when I started to go heavier, look what happens? LOL

Yes, the buttercream was too soft, i'm betting. not enough crusting/shortening

This cake is for fun, however, it's for my Moms Club and those ladies buy from me and i'd hate to make them run away in terror screaming 'you'll ruin my kid's birthday"

LOL at the high humidity. i had the SAME problem a few weeks ago because of the humidity in the house. THEN we get the ENTIRE air/heat unit replaced and now i have a computer that keeps the moisture/humidity level in the house @ 50%...and this still happens.

i think i'm going to stick with a HIGH crusting BC or ganache (white or chocolate) for my undercoating. I never have problems, why can't i learn from my mistakes? LOL

MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 7:34pm
post #8 of 10

LOL Doug- I think I may love you! Old age ....

I think it looks like a settling issue. After it has had time to warm up and settle, it causes the old age look icon_smile.gif

Still chuckling over the old age discription

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 10:36pm
post #9 of 10

To me, it looks as though the fondant slid down the cake. I don't freeze my cakes, but if I did, I would let them thaw, then torte and cover in frosting. Then back in the fridge for overnight and then decorate the next day. I hope this helps!

Cakerer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakerer Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 5:50pm
post #10 of 10

On another note, did you make the different color beading or is that candies? The colors are so vibrant!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%