Anyone Us A Scale For Measuring? What Is The Best Kind?

Decorating By cocobean Updated 9 Jun 2009 , 5:53pm by -K8memphis

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 6:18pm
post #1 of 12

I would really like to start using a scale to measure my ingredients. Any suggestions on the best kind or user friendly? icon_smile.gif

11 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 2:30am
post #2 of 12

I don't like the digital one. I have one and it broke. I prefer the non digital ones better.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 10:16am
post #3 of 12

i have a non digital one, and want to switch to digital!
i think they are all much of the same though, the display is always the same basic idea. i just have very cheap scales, which measure accurately.
xx

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 10:46am
post #4 of 12

I have a very good, trusty digital scale. One feature to look for is the ability to 'tare' what you are measuring with each addition. eg you put in 500g flour, press the button and it goes to zero so you can add in another ingredient and so on.

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 10:57am
post #5 of 12

I have JUST started using one and love it. Always thought about it, so finally burned up a gift certificate on one. I researched and America's Test Kitchen tested them. They went for accuracy first and found that all the major brands were pretty accurate - higher prices didn't mean better accuracy. Since they were equal on accuracy, they chose the Oxo Good Grips because 1. You can pull the monitor part out to read (nice if the bowl is large) 2. The flat part lifts off to clean. It zeroes, and switches from oz/grams etc.

The hardest thing is converting recipes, so found some charts online. Made one that had the items I use, printed out and put in a plastic sheet cover and keep it with the scale.

Wish I had bought one a long time ago -

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 3:30pm
post #6 of 12

Evoir, you just made me want to get your type of digital scale.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 3:48pm
post #7 of 12

I use a digital postal scale--cheap--has a tare--got it on ebay from this nice dealer--but it only goes to 10#s. But I love the for really old time baker's scales with weights.

STRAWBERRY1390 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
STRAWBERRY1390 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 3:56pm
post #8 of 12

I have the Aquatronic Baker's Dream by Salter. I love it. It has a tare and switches from liquids to dry and has a Pounds to Kilo conversion button. My only draw it's smallest measurement in 1/4 oz and it goes up in 1/4 oz increments. So for somethings i still need the measuring spoons. But I havent had any huge mishaps because of this so I love it.

Good luck and happy caking,
Stacy

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 1:04am
post #9 of 12

I got my digital scales from WalMart. It seems pretty accurate. I haven't had a cake flop since I've been using it for the past year. It has a tare button & a gm/oz button. I don't think you need to spend a lot of $ to get accurate scales. I also made a conversion chart & keep it with my scales.
BTW my husband loves using the scales when we have dessert to ensure that we have equal amounts.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 1:09am
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by STRAWBERRY1390

I have the Aquatronic Baker's Dream by Salter. I love it.

I have the same one. I use it so often I had to make a permanent space for it on my counter.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 3:59pm
post #11 of 12

My scales stay out on the counter. I actually have three scales - all digital - but the postal scale that weighs up to 25 pounds is the one I leave out. Tare is necessary IMHO, and one that weighs in both ounces or grams is great. Check

http://www.oldwillknottscales.com/index.aspx

for good on-line prices. I have made soaps and lotions for years, and a scale is absolutely necessary. Also, look for one with an AC adapter - cheaper and more environmentally friendly than buying batteries.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 5:53pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibmoser

My scales stay out on the counter. I actually have three scales - all digital - but the postal scale that weighs up to 25 pounds is the one I leave out. Tare is necessary IMHO, and one that weighs in both ounces or grams is great. Check

http://www.oldwillknottscales.com/index.aspx

for good on-line prices. I have made soaps and lotions for years, and a scale is absolutely necessary. Also, look for one with an AC adapter - cheaper and more environmentally friendly than buying batteries.

That's the guy I bought mine from!! He's excellent.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%