Trying To Use A Tip #1 And It Keeps Clogging

Baking By loves2bake4six Updated 7 Jun 2009 , 4:23pm by Michele25

loves2bake4six Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loves2bake4six Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 4:18pm
post #1 of 7

I am using a RI I made with egg whites, salt, cream of tartar, PS (sifted) and water.

Coloring was some Wilton's pastes (blue and yellow) which were old and gunky) and americolor (super red and a drop of black) to make brown.

I have almost finished the cookies and wanted to write the teachers name on them. I can do one letter then the tip clogs. I clean it with thin wire and the same thing happens. I washed out the icing in the tip, dried the tip and tried again, same thing.

Is the icing possibly too thick even at flooding consistency?

6 replies
Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 4:21pm
post #2 of 7

You may have to run it through a clean nylon to get all the little clumps out.

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 4:23pm
post #3 of 7

yes, that's possible. You might want to try adding a little piping gel to it or, I've heard that you can try pushing the icing through a clean, unused stocking, to get any lumps at all out and a lot of people find that really helps for when you need to get it through that thin a tip. Good luck - I know how frustrating that can be!!

loves2bake4six Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loves2bake4six Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 4:59pm
post #4 of 7

Thank you. Off to raid my daughter's closet icon_lol.gif

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 4:02pm
post #5 of 7

That actually just happened to me last week and not even a toothpick could fit inside to unclog. Thanks for the stocking tip!

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 4:19pm
post #6 of 7

Oh, the nylon hint is the best thing! I do this automatically if I am going to use a small tip such as a PME 0 or 00. It sounds like you got the basic idea, but here is a bit more, if it helps. You take the new knee high, wash it in dish soap, rinsing very thoroughly and dry it. Put this over a tall glass, pulling the excess over the top so you can easily access the bottom of the stocking. Pour your RI in, twist the top, then put a piece of plastic wrap around that area to protect your hand from any icing as you squeeze the RI through.

Michele25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michele25 Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 4:23pm
post #7 of 7

Great info! Thanks, Tracy! You're my "Cookie Hero"! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%