Unhappy Bride, Very Long

Business By shorty56 Updated 8 Jun 2009 , 3:33am by melodyscakes

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 10:53pm
post #31 of 45

And another question- more related to the cake in question. At what point, if something isn't working, do you make a change in order for the finished product to look better?

Seems that if you don't go with the agreed upon design that the client will be upset anyway. Does anyone have a statement in their contract about having some creative license so you have some wiggle room when the time comes to complete the cake?

Obviously I am not meaning anything too off the wall for changes, still stick to the original idea. But like the ribbon in this instance, the OP was having problems so if she had done it differently the bride still would have been upset (maybe?).

What would you do in that instance? Change something so it will look better or do the best you can with it? Seems like no matter what you have a complaint coming. Again, just curious. I have been there in the thick of decorating but felt like I had no choice but to go with it.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 11:07pm
post #32 of 45

I don't know. I'm pretty strict. A contract is to protect the client just as much as it is to protect you. Like the cake I mentioned earlier, I wouldn't have voluntarily said "I made your cake look like crap", but would have been ready had they said something.

I don't say I can make something that I can't. And I don't experiment with things/techniques/mediums on a paid cake in the hopes that I can pull it off. Of course I am doing something new on a lot of orders, but nothing sooff the wall it would have required practice first.

Tough one. Some people are gonna bit&& no matter what. Roll with it, and use good judgement...I can't think of anything else to say.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 12:54am
post #33 of 45

I think the bride answered Lenette's question perfectly...............

As a professional, if something isn't working (like the fondant) you should have the know how to possibly call me and say, hey this isn't working we'll have to use real lace to which I would have said fine. I'd rather have known the difficulties before hand then walk in to see my cake smudged, cracked and lopsided.

I agree that there are very few people in this industry that can turn out a 100% flawless cake. Even the "big guys" we see on TV have little flaws in their cakes. We're only human.

Here's how I feel. If I am truly unhappy with a cake that I may have tried a new technique on, I will discount the price (and I have.)

I always let the client know beforehand if I'm not comfortable with a design or technique, to give them an opportunity to change the order or find another decorator/baker.

Now if it were a wedding cake.............I practice the technique until I'm happy and satisfied with it. I wouldn't wait to try it on the actual wedding cake. That's just too risky.

I would hope that as professionals we can offer one another constructive criticism. Not one person has said anything offensive to the OP and not one comment was meant to hurt her feelings.

I'd rather people here be honest with me then to kiss my butt and tell me everything is perfect and the bride is nuts. None of us will ever grow or learn if we're always told that our work is just fine and dandy.

I know I have a lot to learn and I've been doing this for 25 yrs.
icon_rolleyes.gif

350BakerStreet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
350BakerStreet Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 2:31am
post #34 of 45

Wow...I'm sorry I said anything icon_sad.gif I was just trying to make the OP feel better about some of the smaller imperfections. Didn't mean to get anyone's panties in a twist. Sorry.

shorty56 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shorty56 Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 4:20am
post #35 of 45

i've used fondant presses/molds/frill cutters before and never had an issue. it didn't occur to me that this particular fondant press would be any different and i don't think a reasonable person would have anticipated that. it wasn't something i considered to be a "new" or "difficult" technique, because i had used other very similar products with success. i was baffled and astounded that this item wouldn't cut. i tried rolling it very very thin, i tried rolling it thicker. i tried pushing down super hard, and pushing down less hard. i spent about an hour just trying different variables to get it to work. so please don't suggest i tried out a new and challenging technique for the first time on a paid wedding order.

thought i'd post the resolution. i wrote this in response
"The icing was in ivory and the border was in white. The lighting at the venue washed out the color which I noticed upon arrival, but there isn't anything I can do about the lighting at the venue. Lighting makes a huge difference in the perception of color, especially with the yellowish tint to the light on white and ivory. I mentioned this to the bridesmaid I spoke with on the phone.

I considered looking for some real lace to use on the cake, but knowing how unlikely it was that I could find a match for the pattern used on the cake in the photo I opted to continue with the fondant border since it was a match for the pattern. I'm sorry I didn't call you to confirm the decision.

I would be happy to reimburse you the $30 for the border and the $35 for the flowers. The cake was not smudged, cracked and lopsided. There was a problem with the border and apparently a miscommunication about the flowers. Even the groom told me it looked great when he walked into the venue and saw it.

I am very sorry you are so unhappy about the cake, where would you like me to mail the check?"

and she replied with an address so i guess she's satisfied. on a side note, the sister who is booked with me for october doesn't seem nearly as upset as this bride made her out to be. i received an email from her as well and instead of the cancellation i was expecting she wrote this:

I am booked for the oct. 2nd wedding and you did my sisters cake for her wedding last night and I guess it was hard to do the lace and stuff so I was wondering if you can for sure do the branch on my cake because I don't want there to be any problems. Just let me know! thanks"

her cake has a fondant branch going up the tiers with fall leaves and berries.

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 12:57pm
post #36 of 45

Shorty, I hope everything is resolved and you can move on from this. I am sorry it was such an ordeal for you.

As for my posts I wasn't trying to ruffle any feathers, imply that anyone was rude or anything of the sort. I hope no one is upset. Like I said, I have been there when something just wouldn't go right. Goodness, some days the friggin' bc won't even smooth! Sugar/cake is such an imperfect medium to me.

I have been on the websites of some darn good artists and see flaws, small but still there all the same. I know that we have trained our eyes to see what is wrong where as most people have not.

I was honestly wondering if other people look at their cakes and see something nearly perfect because I certainly don't see mine that way.

OfficerMorgan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OfficerMorgan Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 3:15pm
post #37 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by 350BakerStreet

Wow...I'm sorry I said anything icon_sad.gif I was just trying to make the OP feel better about some of the smaller imperfections. Didn't mean to get anyone's panties in a twist. Sorry.

Yeah, apologizing with the words panties and twist while blaming other person is the way to go! icon_lol.gif
Don't apologize for your opinion-especially not in a facetious way-just stick to it!

umgrzfn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
umgrzfn Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 4:31pm
post #38 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenette

I think we all see imperfections in cake more than most people would. I am not going to comment on your cake other than to say I think it was very pretty.

I am curious though, do all you who responded turn out perfect or near perfect cakes? Do you not have any imperfections in your bc, wrinkles in your fondant? How do you do ribbon with no seams?

These questions are not meant to be rude, I am wondering how you produce cakes with no flaws. I mean we are human not machines. I know I get bummed when things don't turn out quite right and I in no way am close to the many talented folks here.
Again, no reference to the cake in this thread and in no way am I being sarcastic or rude. I just wonder how much margin is there for human "error" in cakes?

Sometimes it seems that folks want something perfect in a very imperfect medium. If everything needs to be flawless and perfect I need a new passion, after working with this for a few years I am not sure that the truly flawless cakes is possible. I always see something that I think can be better or different.

I agree, however, I also agree that it was not a $400.00 cake. If she was having so much problems with the lace, then she should have put ribbon or something else on it, or not done anything at all. The bride was ABSOLUTELY right in saying she should have been contacted to let her know the cake would look different then what she was expecting. The flowers, she should have been more clear. Her bad for that!!! I certainly make mistakes and it drives me insane, but as a paying bride I would have been very disapointed with the looks of that cake. Sorry!!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 6:26pm
post #39 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorty56

so please don't suggest i tried out a new and challenging technique for the first time on a paid wedding order.

I would be happy to reimburse you the $30 for the border and the $35 for the flowers. The cake was not smudged, cracked and lopsided. There was a problem with the border and apparently a miscommunication about the flowers. Even the groom told me it looked great when he walked into the venue and saw it.

and she replied with an address so i guess she's satisfied. on a side note,

I guess I misunderstood your first post. I thought you said that it was a new cutter that a CC member recommended to you. That is why I said it might have been beneficial to try it out and practice before using it on a "paid wedding cake" order.

Shorty, I'm certainly not trying to make you feel bad, so please don't take it that way.

I personally think that you are very fortunate that the bride is being so nice in accepting just the $30 that you charged her for the border.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 7:15pm
post #40 of 45

Overall, it's a beautiful cake! I loved the flowers, they were gorgeous! The lighting of course wasn't your fault and if she sent you a bad picture of the flowers, that can't be helped. I can see what everyone was talking about with the fondant ribbons and I saw a little smudge on the top tier of the cake. But overall, it was very pretty. I think you did the right thing by refunding a portion of her money.

I'm glad that the sister is going to stick with you for her wedding cake.

I think you should up your deposit amount though. You're only charging $50 and then if they cancel, you are out a lot of potential money. You might not be able to get another wedding cake that day! So I would seriously reconsider what you are charge for the deposit. Some people charge 50% of the cake!

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 8:54pm
post #41 of 45

99% of your cakes are wonderful. Don't let this one get you down-you will be back on your feet kicking cake butt before you know it.

sara91 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sara91 Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 9:07pm
post #42 of 45

Don't let this one get you down. I do not think that the ribbon was too bad. I have seen much worse.

I have always found it funny that sometimes when you are so happy with a cake the customer is picky and unhappy and other times when you are thinking it is really bad the customer is so grateful for your work of art.

It is a nice cake. I am glad she accepted the refund and everything is sorting out.

350BakerStreet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
350BakerStreet Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 3:09am
post #43 of 45

A very happy ending icon_smile.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 3:27am
post #44 of 45

If something is not working I'd totally call/email the bride and say "Something came up and the design we chose isn't working...I'm going to switch the border lace to a slightly different pattern (or real lace) and refund $75 for the trouble."

I did have to, one time, on a party cake change something and I emailed ahead of time that the cake turned out great except this one change and that I expected $50 less than charged when she arrived with payment.

She seemed just fine. I find an offered refund as well as full explanation wards off problems pretty well.

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 3:33am
post #45 of 45

I love the sisters attitude! wow.
I'd reassure her about the branches and tell you how much you look forward to making her cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%