Ugh! Stupid Ribbon!!!!!!

Decorating By jonahsmom Updated 9 Jun 2009 , 1:33am by jonahsmom

jonahsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jonahsmom Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 2:25pm
post #1 of 18

I say stupid ribbon, but I really mean STUPID ME!!!!

On my first PAID wedding cake I put clear packing tape on the back of the ribbon in hopes that it would stop the whole grease spot situation because I didn't really want to grease the entire ribbon. This morning, I see that there were grease spots so I had to redo the ribbon. This time I decided just to go ahead and grease the whole stupid thing. Which actually made the color match a little bit better (according to DH).

So, when he asked if I was going to be having to replace all the ribbon he said that I should put wide ribbon on the middle tier, too. Which I only ended up doing because I had just a little bit less skinny ribbon than I needed to wrap around the second tier. UGH!

Now I'm mad because I can see the scrollwork and dots under the greased ribbon.

Do you guys think I totally wrecked it? Or should I have left it alone....BOOOOO!!!!! I showed DH the before and after pics and even with the see thru business he says he still likes the wide ribbon better. (He thinks I'm too hard on myself....I like things to be as perfect as possible.)

Seriously......she paid me for this cake and I do not want her to think she made a mistake!!!!!
LL
LL

17 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 2:33pm
post #2 of 18

If it was me, I'd rip it off and do it again, cause I can't stand stuff showing through that isn't supposed to. But I'm OCD like that. Next time, line it with contact paper, makes it much stiffer. However, on square cakes, it's a bit tricky to get it around the corner. So I slash the back of the contact at the corner. Also, if your hands were greasy, that's where it's gonna get on the ribbon, not from the cake.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 2:36pm
post #3 of 18

It still looks GREAT!. No one would have ever known.

Just like I always say, this is the reason why I avoid ribbons on cakes.

jonahsmom Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 2:44pm
post #4 of 18

Okay, so, I ripped the middle ribbon off and I'm going to go back and get some more skinny ribbon....driving me NERTZ!!!

Plus, my mom said it looked better the first time with the skinny ribbon cuz you can see more scrollwork that way.....her opinion counts way more than DH!!!!

He thinks I'm nuts, but whatever! At least she's not picking up until 2:30 so I have plenty of time!!!!!

__Jamie__ Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 2:46pm
post #5 of 18

I agree with your mom! And it does look lovely either way....don't stress it.

jonahsmom Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 4:04pm
post #6 of 18

Okay...that was a quick fix!!! I ended up having to fix a few of the scroll areas, and the corners aren't quite as smooth, but I think it looks better with the skinny middle anyway. DH still likes it better the other way, but he's OCD in other ways, I think!!!!

This is it! It's in the ginormous box awaiting pickup and I get to relax for a little while!!!!
LL

__Jamie__ Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 4:06pm
post #7 of 18

Awesome! Really great....can't tell anything happened! Love the skinnier ribbon in the middle.

Abbiedal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Abbiedal Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 4:28pm
post #8 of 18

that is a beautiful cake !!!!!! being new to this I probably shouldn't give my opinion but I like the wide ribbon on all three layers it makes it mor esymetrical (I'm one of those has to be balanced people) The cake is gorgeous either way

jonahsmom Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 4:35pm
post #9 of 18

Oh, Abbiedal...you just made DH's day...literally he threw his arms up in the air triumphantly. He's one of those symmetrical types, too, which is where the problem between us lies!!!!

His opinion usually works for me because he's pretty honest about everything I do....brutally actually! But this time, we had to agree to disagree. He said I could've gone either way....just depends on personal preference of those looking at it.

I can't wait to do his cake in October...he just wants "chocolate cake with frosting slapped on!" It's gonna be the ugliest cake ever...it'll probably drive me nuts...

Thanks peeps!

__Jamie__ Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 4:38pm
post #10 of 18

I think the skinnier ribbon fools the eye and makes it look taller in the middle. Which, when you have scroll work or any design, looks great.

sandykay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandykay Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 4:38pm
post #11 of 18

First what a gorgeous cake! I like the look of the middle layer with the smaller ribbon. I know what you mean about the grease, so I try to avoid using it. I also find it is difficult to match some of the colors.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 4:47pm
post #12 of 18

I just let all my ribbons soak the grease, the color evens out over nite and it won't show the grease. What I do keep in mind is that it will turn a shade darker. But we tell
the brides this before hand, so there has never been an issue with it.
Edna icon_smile.gif

Karabear1125 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karabear1125 Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 8:31pm
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

I think the skinnier ribbon fools the eye and makes it look taller in the middle. Which, when you have scroll work or any design, looks great.

Yep I agree with Jamie, the skinnier ribbon looks much better!

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 3:24am
post #14 of 18

When I ask my husband he allways says "it looks fine". WTH?? To me that is just another way of saying you look great for your age.

jonahsmom Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 11:27pm
post #15 of 18

Okay, I got a call from bride today and they absolutely LOVED the cake!! She said "friggin' awesome" probably half a dozen times in the two minutes we talked!

She said she was complimented on the look and taste of the cake all night long and that she will definitely order from me again and will recommend me to EVERYONE she knows!

Yeah!!!

So.....on to the gross part of the story! I work with her friend (she's the one that recommended me for the wedding) who came in this morning telling me how pretty the cake was. Anyhoo, she also proceeded to tell me how the prepared the cake for cutting. Keep in mind that I emailed her cake disassembly and cutting instructions Thursday night so she could ask any questions and sent a hard copy along with the cake just in case she lost the first ones. So, when it came time to disassemble the cake the directions were at the cake table. Instead of using a spatula to separate the tiers the groom picked up the top tier WITH HIS HANDS ON EACH SIDE OF THE CAKE AND PLUCKED IT OFF THE CAKE!!! WITH HIS BARE HANDS!!!!! Gross! I'm glad I wasn't there to see that! Nobody else seemed to mind though because she said there was hardly anything left!

__Jamie__ Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 11:31pm
post #16 of 18

Oh wow.....how very special. Did he scrape his hands off onto the cake afterwards to re-ice the naked slices??? Sheesh!!

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 11:39pm
post #17 of 18

It's a stunning cake! Great job!

jonahsmom Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 1:33am
post #18 of 18

Yeah, Jamie, seriously! I'm working on a couple of tiny cakes right now and I can't get the image out of my head! I think I must be a germaphobe or something cuz I am SERIOUSLY sicked out by thinking about it!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%