Butterfly Cake Ideas Needed!!!

Decorating By sreyomac Updated 9 Jun 2009 , 3:10am by linstead

sreyomac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sreyomac Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 10:19pm
post #1 of 8

I have an order for a butterfly cake, due at the end July. That gives me enough time to try out new methods and designs.... What i was thinking is to carve out each wing out of an 13x9 sheet cake. Decorate it in the coordnating colors.... here is my question.... and i want to use the same method used for making sugar cookies... the outline and fill. I thought i would outline shapes and thin or even maybe melt icing to fill it in. i am wondering if this would work on a cake as well. I am looking for a smooth finish is why it came to mind. What do you guys think? AM i head to disater. And any other ideas on this cake would so helpful. thanks ladies!!!

aaauuugh... where is spell check!!!!

7 replies
ilsescully Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ilsescully Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 10:27pm
post #2 of 8

My mom made me a butterfly cake when I was little and she covered it with colored coconut. Might not be what you're looking for, but we loved it!

gjam07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gjam07 Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 1:09am
post #3 of 8

i just made a butterfly take...take a look. Extremely easy, and the customer loved it! icon_smile.gif

imamommy1205 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imamommy1205 Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 1:15am
post #4 of 8

You can melt frosting to cover a cake. I am sure it would do fine to fill in also. I made a butterfly cake not too long ago, its in my photos. A lot different than what you are talking about though. I did 2 small tiers with 3D RI butterflies. Those took some time lol.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 1:17am
post #5 of 8

You can use the same general idea as decorating cookies. Use a large round tip (I like #7) and fill in the area. Once it has slightly crusted you can go over it with a foam paint roller (Melvira method) and it will be smooth. I draw on my cakes this way all the time.

shannon100 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannon100 Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 2:08am
post #6 of 8

This cake is a 12" round, cut into 4 pieces (think peace symbol when cutting), and the top parts turned. (The body is cupcakes.) I did the Viva papertowel method for smoothing, and then decorated. It was one of my beginning cakes, last year for my daughter's 1st birthday. It's just 1 layer, but you could probably do it 2 layers if you needed the servings. We didn't need to serve that many.

sreyomac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sreyomac Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 2:59am
post #7 of 8

thanks ladies for the ideas... your cakes are wonderful!!!!

linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 3:10am
post #8 of 8

I made a butterfly out of cupcakes last year - was for 5 year's birthday. Worked really well and the kids could just take a cupcake. Didn't required any sculpting either. I can send you a photo if you want to see it (tried to attached here but the file is just too large). I think I sued around 35 cupcakes in this.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%